Agressive Cat

ana_maria048

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello
I need help with my cat. He is almost 6months old and very aggressive. He starts jumping on us, biting us and scratching us out of no where. He is probably playing, but i have tens of scratches on my arms and legs. He is hunting us. He isn't of a certain breed.. i thing his mother was forest siberian.
Please help me. We don't encourage his attacks, i don't know how to teach him not to act this way. He stays just in the house, and haven't been sterilised yet. Thank you!

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Beautiful little boy! First of all, I would bet he was taken from his family before he was twelve weeks old and didn't get to learn limits on how to play. They learn this between 6 and 12 weeks by their mama and siblings. First of all, it is never OK to play rough with them with your hands, it encourages violence. The next time he attacks, yell NO very loudly, hiss at him, (if no one else is there :) )and leave the room. If he insists on attacking, grab him by the loose skin on the back of the neck (not the neck itself!) and hold him near the ground and still for a few seconds. That is how mama would do it. Hold him still and say NO very loudly while keeping him still. Do this every time he attacks and he will soon learn it is not fun to attack you. If you don't feel comfortable doing this order a kickeroo on Amazon and throw it towards him when he is coming for you, it will distract him. I highly recommend them. Next he will lose some of his aggression if you get him neutered. He is well past the age now, we neuter as little as two pounds with no problems. The longer he has the hormones,the worse his aggression will get and he will start spraying and yowling all night, believe me. He will be a much calmer, happier, more lovey pet. All the luck!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is cute :) In the picture he looks ready to play. I would suggest neutering him as soon as you can. I would bet at least half his attacks disappear in 2 weeks. Then it all comes down to training & multiple play sessions every day. A bored cat is a destructive cat. They are built to hunt.
:hangin:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ana_maria048

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey. Thank you all. I am trying what you said, di and bob, but it is really hard. I hope he will get better in time :(

CatloverinFL

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello
I need help with my cat. He is almost 6months old and very aggressive. He starts jumping on us, biting us and scratching us out of no where. He is probably playing, but i have tens of scratches on my arms and legs. He is hunting us. He isn't of a certain breed.. i thing his mother was forest siberian.
Please help me. We don't encourage his attacks, i don't know how to teach him not to act this way. He stays just in the house, and haven't been sterilised yet. Thank you!
If you neuter him he will become much calmer, nicer and less aggressive. It's all of his testosterone building in his system that is making him act aggressively toward you and your family, IMO. There is a reason many un-neuter male cats will often become mean Tom cats who can kill and terrorize other fixed, defenseless, domestic cats minding their own business in their own yards who just happen to be in the Tom cats perceived territory. Neuter him.

ana_maria048

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you neuter him he will become much calmer, nicer and less aggressive. It's all of his testosterone building in his system that is making him act aggressively toward you and your family, IMO. There is a reason many un-neuter male cats will often become mean Tom cats who can kill and terrorize other fixed, defenseless, domestic cats minding their own business in their own yards who just happen to be in the Tom cats perceived territory. Neuter him.
Hey. Thank you for the advice. I want to neuter him, but the doctor told me he needs to be about 7 month old, because he is not fully developed. When did you neuter your cats?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i neutered/spayed my cats all by 4-6 months. Your boy was big enough at 6 months if you were being super cautious.

CatloverinFL

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey. Thank you for the advice. I want to neuter him, but the doctor told me he needs to be about 7 month old, because he is not fully developed. When did you neuter your cats?
Hi ana_maria048. You sound like you have a great and wise vet. I totally agree with his logic, and felt the same way about nurturing my male cat (who died 2 weeks ago of cancer). I took mine in to be fixed when he was a little over 8 months old. I don't know if that's the 'perfect time' honestly, I just somewhat guessed at this age intuitively, as he was able to go into heat just once during that time. It just made sense to me that I wanted his organs and hormones to be able to grow and develop (but perhaps not fully) before I took him to be fixed.

There was definitely a positive difference in my boy's personality afterwards. He was sweeter, and didn't want to stray far from home and my yard, more attentive and affectionate, less aggressive. Also, an un-neutered male can/will begin spraying and marking their territory, outside and* inside. Not a good thing. I do think once you get yours fixed you'll notice a positive difference in his behavior. Also, you'll for sure want to tell him a loud "NO!", and clap your hands when saying it, if he tried to attack, scratch, or in any way be aggressive acting towards you and your family. I would nip that in the bud, ASAP, and let him know that is not acceptable and won't be tolerated. He'll catch on quickly.

Good luck and please keep us posted!

ana_maria048

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi ana_maria048. You sound like you have a great and wise vet. I totally agree with his logic, and felt the same way about nurturing my male cat (who died 2 weeks ago of cancer). I took mine in to be fixed when he was a little over 8 months old. I don't know if that's the 'perfect time' honestly, I just somewhat guessed at this age intuitively, as he was able to go into heat just once during that time. It just made sense to me that I wanted his organs and hormones to be able to grow and develop (but perhaps not fully) before I took him to be fixed.

There was definitely a positive difference in my boy's personality afterwards. He was sweeter, and didn't want to stray far from home and my yard, more attentive and affectionate, less aggressive. Also, an un-neutered male can/will begin spraying and marking their territory, outside and* inside. Not a good thing. I do think once you get yours fixed you'll notice a positive difference in his behavior. Also, you'll for sure want to tell him a loud "NO!", and clap your hands when saying it, if he tried to attack, scratch, or in any way be aggressive acting towards you and your family. I would nip that in the bud, ASAP, and let him know that is not acceptable and won't be tolerated. He'll catch on quickly.

Good luck and please keep us posted!
Hello, I am so sorry for you cat. Condolences!
My cat in 8 months now, I will take him to be neutered as soon as possible. This week I hope. The vet did not want to do this before this age. In the past weeks he has been a bit better. But he still likes to play really rough. I hope it will get better. Also, I did not noticed him spraying and marking his territory yet. How can I notice this? Does it smell? Can I see when he sprays? Or he will leave something wet behind him?
Thank you!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yes, you would know! It stinks something terrible. There are cat urine cleaners out there that have enzymes to destroy and get rid of the stain and odor. 8 months is really about right, he'll be fine. My male cats are back to normal the next day! Thank you for being concerned. I'll pray for you both.