Agitated and distressed, afraid/angry with his tail

Campbell70

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My five year old grey tabby, Mike, is exhibiting strange behavior. He will suddenly become twitchy, whip his tail, clearly agitated. Then he will try to bite his tail and run away from it. There is also some frantic scratching around his neck and ears, some agitated grooming, but mostly crazy running, jumping on high furniture. This has been going on off/on for about a week but up until now, has been maybe once or twice a day. As of last night it’s a lot more frequent…I think it’s distress or pain and I can’t in to see his doctor until Monday. Any thoughts?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! Definitely look into FHS as was suggested. If you think that the cat will not have an episode in the vet's office, which he may not, try to have a video on your phone to show the vet. I have a cat who is dxed with this and the symptoms you are describing sound very similar. She does not recognize her own tail, or me, when the episode starts and I have to intervene with something safe like a pillow or special gloves to "snap" her out of this state of mind. Make sure that fleas are not part of the equation though as that will add another layer to the problem. IMO, FHS is a seizure disorder of sorts. Some vets agree and some don't. As the article states, there is medication for it if needed.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would most certainly look into the flea aspect first. Indoor only cats can get them just as easily as indoor/outdoor cats. I don't know where you are located, but some areas are being inundated by fleas. I have lived in the same house for 38 years and until about 2 years ago we never had a flea issue and I never treated Feeby for fleas. Now, I can't get rid of them entirely. And, I have begun using a topical flea treatment too! Don't assume you don't have them until you verify it.

The best way to check for fleas is with a flea comb, a bowl of soapy water, and some paper towels. Take the flea comb and do long strokes starting at the head and ending at the tail. In between strokes, dip the comb in the water to drown any live fleas. Wipe the comb on the paper towel to look for flea dirt and/or red/pink tinged water which is a clear sign of fleas biting your cat. This combing should be done all over the body, ending with the legs and tail. You can also set up soapy water dishes on the floor in areas typically where you cat hangs out - set a light over top of the dish overnight and see if you find fleas drowned in the water the next morning. The fleas are attracted to the water by the light, and when entering the soapy water they drown.

If that is not the issue - the next step is what the previous members have suggested.