Aggressive Kitten

hissingcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
help!
I got my kitten two years ago from my friends litter, and she’s ALWAYS hissed. When she was a kitten she would cuddle up to me , and then hiss at me !
Now that she’s older, she won’t let anyone touch her BUT my mom; and the only time she doesn’t hiss is in my moms room! She gets tense and pushes me away anytime I pick her up, unless shes in my moms room.

She loves attacking people too.. anytime I put my hand down near her she will stick her claws in me and lick/bite my hand!

I just want to know if this is normal behavior or if something more serious is going on with my kitty and what I can do to make her a happy kitty ):

also, her claws get stuck in EVERYTHING! Could this be why she’s hissing so much? Please help I’m struggling

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittens often start out thinking that gently biting is playing. You have to say "No!" loudly to discourage that. And don't rub the belly or play rough with them with your hand. Use toys for vigorous play, especially when the cat is already riled up (never touch a riled up cat).

Some cats do not like to be picked up, and when you do it anyway, it discourages them from bonding with you. You have to pretend you are courting the cat. What do you do when you are trying to court someone that doesn't currently like you much? You find out what they like, and you do that. You encourage them to do stuff with you they like, and maybe slowly branch out from there. So maybe the cat will accept you petting her when she is tired, or in your mom's room. So do that. Then develop a call noise (click, coo whatever) and lure them to "the spot" when you want to pet them. Can use treats too. After the call noise is linked in their mind, try to lure them to other similar spots. If it is a dresser or bed in your mom's room, try to expand to a dresser or bed in your room.

Look, cats are weird. My cat somehow got the idea to crawl on your belly on the bed, and wanted to be petted there. So I started calling her when lying on the couch. Now, if she sees me stretching on the floor, she will come over and try to lay on me, lol. Silly, but it shows gradual expansion. This stuff builds the bond, and before you know it, its quite possible they will jump on your lap. Just stop with the stuff they don't like, that ain't how you court.

Try the courting approach and let us know how it goes.