Aggressive Cat

Anakii

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have had my cat since she was literally born. Her month was killed so I kept her 2 kittens. Her brother is super loving and friendly but she's super aggressive/scared . If you even look at her she takes off running. If you go to pet her she flinches hard and then runs. We have never hit or hurt her. She'll sleep in bed with me and eat treats out of my hand but if you pick her up she attacks and is scared of everything and just hates people and I don't understand it. She's never been outside to be abused and the other cats have never hurt her that I know of. Anyone have any idea why she's like this? The only time im able to pet her is if shes asleep in bed with me. I'm at my wits end

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Anakii

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The kitty I'm talking about is the Calico in the middle :(

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is just her temperament. Females are usually more hissy, they are the ones that teach limits to the others.That she runs when you look at her and fights you when held points to not being as socialized when she was very young. And if she was interacted with and socialized just as much as her brother, then something is continuing to scare her and make her afraid of people. The fact that she sleeps with you is encouraging, she feels safe then, so what is making her afraid the rest of the time? Is she left alone with anyone that may be loud or threatening to her? Any other animals that may be harassing her when you are gone? Are you bringing in any smells from other animals when you come home? Is she spayed? They are big enough at two pounds, you might start there, hormones can make them edgy and afraid. Spaying definitely calms them. SOMETHING is happening to make her afraid, and if she is afraid of humans I would start there.
I think the best solution here is to start again with her and treat her like a feral. Sit with her but don't touch, don't force her into anything. Talk low and soothingly, try to engage her with wand toys and offer lots of yummy treats to make her have good feelings when near you.It might be a good idea to have plenty of places for her to hide, even if it is a box. Maybe place her in a separate room by herself fro a week or so and see if she calms down. She may be more high strung but the trick is to find what is scaring her. There are calming treats on Amazon that I use for vet trips taht work very well, I don't give a full dose. It may take the edge off of her anxiety. I wish you well and hope others can help. Good luck!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi. She's really pretty! Where did you get her, was she feral? She sounds like she's either a former feral or just didn't have her mama to teach her manners. I agree, if she's not spayed yet, I'd get that done. Once the hormones are out of her system, she might calm down.

Anakii

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That's just it she was never feral. Was born and raised in my house and I live alone. So no humans other than me that's why I don't understand why she is the way she is. Her brother is the black one he's super loving and friendly. Been trying to feed her treats 1 on 1 so she can try to start and know I mean no harm

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe because she lost her mama so young? The mama cat usually corrects them when they bite or scratch too hard. But my girl cat is a bit more ornery than my boy cat.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it is just the way she is. Just like every child doesn’t have the same personality, some are more fearful, some are more bold, some are more cautious and some way more active, every cat has their own unique response to their environment. Of course sometimes we grow up influenced by parents and our life experiences either positively or negatively but overall we don’t completely change. I would suggest that you accept her and appreciate her with all her quirks and insecurities.

Anakii

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh I would never get rid of her! Her mama was my 9 year old baby! We found her outside strangled and collars stolen off so I wanted to keep the last of her blood line I just never delt with a kitty so mean to everyone for no apparent reason