Aggression or over excited play?

newmomtomisty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
misty is 6 months old and very busy. She's started stalking my 3lb Yorkie, blaocking access to the water dish( now I have a few scattered around the house) and moving her off beds and other places the yorkie likes to sleep.

I'm trying to modify her behaviour but picking her up and removing her from the situation is not working.

My vet suggested an air can before she pounces on the dog, training her to respond to verbal commands, come, sit, stat etc.

How do I train my cat? Has anyone been successful? She's very affectionate with peopl and my other dog but she and the yorkie love ve to hate each other.

Lyzzie

La Folle Aux Chats
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi, welcome to TCS!

Sorry for the late response, I hope we can still help.

IMHO, it seems your cat thinks your dog is a prey or a toy, and stalk/pounce to hunt/play with him.

Here's an article about cats and dogs introductions, and playtime aggression, there may be some things you can try :
[article="29682"]Introducing Cats To Dogs  [/article][article="22328"]How To Stop Playtime Aggression In Cats  [/article]
If this is play aggression on Misty's part, you can redirect her on her favorite toy when you see she's about to stalk/pounce/annoy your dog in any way. She needs to learn that toys are OK to play with, the dog is not. Use lots of praises, and treats for every interactions that goes well. I wouldn't remove Misty from the situation, except if she's already beating on your dog and the redirecting failed.

If your dog runs away from Misty, he's acting like prey to her. You can work with your dog the same way you work with the cat, to build up his confidence.

About the water dishes, having them in places with multiple path going from and to them might help, Misty can't block 3 paths at once

Keep us posted, and don't hesitate to post pics, we love them!