Age Of The Kittens?

tiffr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
just so you guys know, I do know how to care for these kittens. I know what to do... and I already cleaned them up, this picture is when I first got them.

They are extremely skinny so I estimated 2-3 weeks... can anyone give me a better estimate?

Attachments

Rachel Warner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Looks about the same age as mine 4 to 5 weeks get kitten food in bag soak it in water till soft and they can eat that ......

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
I was going to guess 4... Do they have teeth yet? That would put them closer to 5 and they can start canned kitten food :)

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm guessing a malnourished 4 weeks. Glad you got them and know what to do.
I want to see new pictures in a week. :lol:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tiffr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
lol I was very off. haha I'm pretty good with kittens, but my age estimates arent that great lol

tiffr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The kittens are three weeks old. They have been eating and gaining weight well. Last night, Winky (grey calico) pooped a lot... at first it was showing signs of dehydration and then turned to diarrhea. Today, Dobby (white one) went and it was diarrhea. Could they experience diarrhea after dehydration/constipation? When I got them they hadn't eaten for at least 24 hours. Before that a homeless guy had them so who knows. Should I just watch it or take them to the shelter for medication?

tiffr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The kittens are three weeks old and I've had them about 2 days. They have been eating and gaining weight well. Last night, Winky (grey calico) pooped a lot... at first it was showing signs of dehydration and then turned to diarrhea. Today, Dobby (white one) went and it was diarrhea. Could they experience diarrhea after dehydration/constipation? When I got them they hadn't eaten for at least 24 hours. Before that a homeless guy had them so who knows. Should I just watch it or take them to the shelter for medication?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Exactly what had you done, to turn them around from dehydration / constipation? It was perhaps something you overdid...
Exactly what kmr do you use? Some are less reliable than others, so for example, KMR in powder is more reliable than premixed liquid KMR.

As they DO have diarrhea now, and were recently dehydrated, its good to give them fluids and electrolytes. For example clear pedialyte for babies. Or some homemade variation. If you dont have anything home, you can begin with adding a little common kitchen salt to their extra water. Otherwise minerale water is excellent as a base for electrolyte source, it contains lotsa of different salts.

I presume the shelter vet is experienced with helping ex homeless kittens, so his advices should be reliable. If you dont find a good answer finding cause for the diarrhea, its surely wise to contact this vet yes.

tiffr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The only thing I did was start them on powder breeders edge formula which I love and have used for many past fosters. I believe it is from the change of milk/starving/formula.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yeah. So you can wait a little and see. Nothing wrong with extra electrolytes as mentioned. You can simply mix pedialyte instead of water in their kmr.

But as they come from very uncertain condition, they MAY have different parasites alike giardia or coccidia, that is fully possible. And if so, they will need some form of medication.