After years raising cats, I chose a difficult one

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
I have gone through this. My experience is years of commitment and patience and time. I don’t mean to scare you by saying this, and every cat is different. People have suggested white noise…perhaps ear plugs would help. But the commitment is love. Can you separate yourself even for a few hours to catch some cat naps? She just needs to wear herself out. Perhaps cat music might help. Let her do the ping pong ball thing, maybe. Go into another room and blank it all out. Rest, if you can catch it, will help you be clearly with your kitty.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Have you tried an eye mask?

Yes Magnus is constantly jumping on our TV unit as well. I gave in and got him another cat to play with.

Morgana’s Human Morgana’s Human also had the same issue and is unable to get another cat so perhaps has different advice for you.

Morgana’s Human

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello! You’ve had some great advice, and I sympathise! Sorry, A Alldara , I may or may not have given up and gotten Morgana a friend to play with too 😂 - Long story short, a rescue situation! Initial bonding hasn’t been great, but if it doesn’t work (and we will keep trying!), the new cat will have a lovely home with a friend. Anyway -

Morgana was very much like this growing up! She used to bite, kick, scratch, knock my TV over. She’s still full of energy and constantly moving. Morgana loves wand toys and puzzle feeders, so try that to REALLY burn that energy off. I also gave up and just bought a floor TV stand so she couldn’t just knock it over. I know sometimes it feels like a “what have I done” - but give them time. Lots of interactive playtime - For example, I live alone. I get home from work, play with morgana right away for 20 minutes, shower, have dinner (and feed morgana!) then give her a puzzle feeder to annoy her and stimulate (treat feeders in the shape of balls or snuffle mats are FANTASTIC…) then i really play with morgana again to wear her out before giving her the final meal right before bed. by the time she’s finished her meal, she’s just about ready to come up to bed, where she sleeps on her designated pillow next to my bed all night!

I promise things get better, Morgana is 2 next month and honestly, I don’t regret a single moment even if sometimes it’s too much! They’re just full of energy and need to burn things off. You’ve got this!