After a fight and antibiotic, my cat stopped eating

Anna Mennella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,
my cat had a fight and after grooming himself for quite a long while he slowly became more lethargic until the moment I realized he had swelling, turning to be an abscess. The emergency vet gave him antibiotic clavaseptin and painkiller loxicom, but not only he started to refuse food but also he vomited foam as having empty stomach. So after 5 days of antibiotic and 4 administration of loxicom, I suspended the first and called my vet. Aftern a quick check, she gave him an injection of vetamex (an anti-nausea) with the hope that he would start eating again. That didn't happen so I was given mirtazapine (an appetite stimulant) and omeprazole. Ho took the mirtazapine last night and just gave him omeprazole. But nothing, still not interested in food. I have started feeding him some royal cat recovery to avoid development of liver issues but I'm lost and don't know what to do anymore. My cat still goes out, drinks water but that's it. For the rest, is more introverted than before.
Any idea?
Thanks
Anna

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Anna Mennella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I forgot to say that my cat is 13 years old and was normal with big appetite before the fight.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Both the antibiotics and the Loxicom can wreak havoc on a cat's stomach, causing them to feel ill and have a lack of appetite - and, should always be given with food to help ward off stomach issues. Hopefully, as these meds wear off in his system, and the new meds get into his system he will want to eat again. In the meantime, try giving him whatever food - including human - that he does like to see if you can entice him to eat.

Is he eating the recovery food on his own?

You might have to give him another course of antibiotics if he didn't finish the first course, just to make sure he clears the infection. Did the vet say he should be kept inside until the abscessed wound heals?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Anna Mennella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Both the antibiotics and the Loxicom can wreak havoc on a cat's stomach, causing them to feel ill and have a lack of appetite - and, should always be given with food to help ward off stomach issues. Hopefully, as these meds wear off in his system, and the new meds get into his system he will want to eat again. In the meantime, try giving him whatever food - including human - that he does like to see if you can entice him to eat.

Is he eating the recovery food on his own?

You might have to give him another course of antibiotics if he didn't finish the first course, just to make sure he clears the infection. Did the vet say he should be kept inside until the abscessed wound heals?
Thank you so much for your answer, I appreciate it.

He is not eating the recovery food alone, I'm administering it with a syringe. A bit later in the morning he sniffed some prawns and had a little bit (this is his favorite food) but left most of it. I took it as a positive sign, but I am carrying on with the recovery food and that tiny bit he had isn't really enough.

The vet hasn't anticipated to start another course of anti-biotic, and I actually flagged my concern about the infection being still there. For now I was given an oily solution to dilute with some water and apply on the abscess. Also, she didn't particularly advise to keep him inside but anyway he is more of an indoor cat and these days he is staying indoor more than ususal.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So, the vet didn't drain the abscess? I sure hope they did, but either way, they are pretty painful, and that is also going to attribute to his lack of appetite too (I presume he isn't getting the Loxicom anymore either). Hopefully, he will start eating, but watch him like a hawk and bug the heck out of your vet if you feel things are not heading in the right direction! I have always heard antibiotics can go on as long as 2-3 when it comes to an abscess. Keep us posted!