Affectionate Stray Crying A Lot

OhNekoh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A couple days ago I rescued a stray kitten who had been abandoned by his mom. He’s very affectionate and seemed to understand right away that I wasn’t trying to hurt him, and he laid perfectly still and even purred while I cleaned him and took ticks off his face. Poor thing is also very skinny! Fortunately no fleas!
I took him to the local animal hospital because the local shelters in my county don’t have room for kittens, and suggested trying surrounding counties. But the animal historial said other than a kitty cold he is healthy and they wouldn’t be able to take him, only if he had a life threatening illness/injury.
I have him in my bathroom with a fuzzy blanket, food, water, and a litter box, toys. I’m pretty sure he is trying to nurse off from me, though the vet estimated him to be 9 weeks. I was thinking 8-12. Though I know kittens can and often do nurse longer than 6 weeks.
Every time I come into the bathroom he starts crying and purring and kneading. He will even jumó up onto me if I don’t pick him up fast enough. He’s so very sweet! I’ll stay with him from anywhere between 20 minutes or an hour. But I do have a cat and regular chores, whenever I leave this baby will cry and cry and even scream. I’ve never heard a kitten or a cat scream before and it is really heartbreaking. I know I have to quarantine him for 7-10 days, and depending on how his first official vet visit goes, maybe longer.
Whenever i go in to the bathroom, I’ll stay until he’s calm. But as soon as I stand up or put him down he knows I’m leaving and starts crying again. He will then cry for a while and I’m worried I’mjust retraumatizing him. This is his third day in a house, and yesterday I took him on a long car ride to the animal hospital. I know that I haven’t seen his mama for a while (there are a bunch of strays in my area), so I think she either abandoned him or something happened to her (my fingers are crossed someone took her to get fixed).
My intent is to keep the kitten. I’ve never rescued a stray kitten before, any attempts in childhood or as a teenager my parents always made me and my sisters return any cats we were trying to rescue. But I’ve always had pets and cats. My cat just turned two and he was clingy as a kitten and cried a bit, but he never cried for long periods of time or screamed so I’m not sure entirely how to help this kitten and make sure he feels safe. Is this normal? What can I do more or less of? I adore him and want him to know he is safe and I’m not abandoning him.
Thank you for any advice you may have!!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is terrified, period. This will all improve over the course of the next week or so, and as soon as he is out of 'quarantine' it will improve quickly. Cats don't think as we do, every time you leave him he is totally abandoned. as soon as he can be with you full time he will be fine. Make sure you feed him several times a day, all he can eat, preferably wet food, and leave some kibble. Make sure you are comfortable with introducing your cat to this new one, they hiss and don't like it much. Just stay with him as long as you can, he is lonely.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Do you have access to letting him listen to cat music? There is a lot on YouTube and other sites, Music for Cats by David Teie is particularly effective.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001V7UHG8/?tag=thecatsite
There are toys like this which supposedly help. As was said, he is terrified and lonely....neither of which is your fault as you are the one who has saved him...but he does not understand what is going on. It will stop once he can have a little more freedom.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

OhNekoh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do you have access to letting him listen to cat music? There is a lot on YouTube and other sites, Music for Cats by David Teie is particularly effective.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001V7UHG8/?tag=thecatsite
There are toys like this which supposedly help. As was said, he is terrified and lonely....neither of which is your fault as you are the one who has saved him...but he does not understand what is going on. It will stop once he can have a little more freedom.
Thank you for your kindness! I’m a massage therapist so I’ve been playing soothing music for when I have to be out of the bathroom, I will put on some cat music and see if that helps!
I found part of the issue for his crying was he does not know how to eat without trying to knead his dish and it spills everywhere, so I started feeding him out of my hand and then held the plate up and helped keep his feet in the ground so he could see he can eat without putting his paws on it to knead. But I know this will take a while! My cat when he was a baby needed extra help with using the litter box (his preference was potted plants!), so I think this baby just needs extra help with eating independently. After I fed him he hasn’t cried nearly as vigorously and even took a long nap!
Thank you for your encouragement and suggestions, I will get him a few toys (he’s borrowing some from my cat but doesn’t seem interested in play even when I initiate, just wants to be held and cuddled a lot) like the one you linked and hopefully they will help. I was thinking of even giving him one of my son’s teddy bears to snuggle with.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
That is great news! At his age, he needs to eat a sufficient amount, so now that you know that he was spilling his food you can help him to eat. That may go a long way to making him calm down almost immediately.

He is very lucky that you are the one who found him. Please keep us posted as to his progress.

The David Teie music, if you have not heard it, does not sound like "real" music. It is entrained to the brain waves of cats and often puts them into a meditative state.

OhNekoh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
FF59AB51-0A9C-467D-B0C8-C8AEAF41DC22.jpeg

Hey everyone I just wanted to give an update on the kitten!

First, I’ve given him a name: Damon
Hand feeding him helped SO much! He is literally the calmest, sweetest baby!
The vet said other than a small upper respiratory illness he has a clean bill of health! And that the illness will clear up. So I’ve been cleaning his eyes, having him be in the bathroom when I have the shower on to help clear up his lungs and nose. And it’s been a good time! He’s seem to have adjusted to being indoors.
thank you all for the advice and support! He loved the kitty music. I’m enjoying having a baby to care for and also relieved he isn’t as sick as I was originally afraid of. He’s gaining weight (doesn’t feel like complete skin and bones now) and his coat is looking even shinier.
He also loves to just gaze into my eyes, which is so sweet! My other cat always glances away after a moment, but this baby just gazes right into your soul. I’m so happy our paths crossed and I’mso excited to watch him grow ❤
Thank you again!! FF59AB51-0A9C-467D-B0C8-C8AEAF41DC22.jpeg

OhNekoh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also, sorry for the formatting. I’m using my phone and it’s been a minute since I’ve utilized a chat forum like this!