Aerocat Training

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dynah received a shot almost 2 weeks ago, and is already starting to cough. The vets plan is to start her on oral medications tomorrow (2 week mark) while I continue working on Aerocat training.
The process has been slow, as Dynah is skittery, and has trust issues around my touching her to give her various treatments. I've watched videos online, and have been trying a variety of treats. She will eat treats from the mouthpiece (or at least try), and next to the mouthpiece now, but will not let me touch her face with it, and if I put my hand on the back of her neck, she runs.
I am doing trainings twice a day, plus trying to get her to ease up around me as well.
Anyone have a particularly cautious kitty who was successful on the aerocat? Any additional tips?

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has Dynah actually used the Aerocat device when she has breathing trouble?

I think she will discover that using the inhaler makes her feel better and, after a while, she won’t be afraid.

I have even heard stories about cats coming to their humans to ask for help because they know that the “thing” makes them feel better.

Just be gentle but steadfast and she will eventually figure it out.

Some cats take longer.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has Dynah actually used the Aerocat device when she has breathing trouble?

I think she will discover that using the inhaler makes her feel better and, after a while, she won’t be afraid.

I have even heard stories about cats coming to their humans to ask for help because they know that the “thing” makes them feel better.

Just be gentle but steadfast and she will eventually figure it out.

Some cats take longer.
We haven't gotten the puffer yet. As it stands she won't allow me to have it touch her face, and if I do something like a purrito I can guarantee she will not come near me again for a long time (from experience). I will continue with the face touch training. It just may be a long road. I hope the oral meds do the trick in the meantime.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Instead of the actual face mask part of the Aerokat, try an empty toilet paper tube. That's how I trained my previous cat to tolerate the AeroKat. I would touch the tube briefly to his face and then reward with a treat. Rubbing the end of the tube with catnip may help.

The actual process with the AeroKat involved me kneeling on the floor with my cat tucked between my knees and me hold the AeroKat over his face. That kept my cat from wiggling away. I'd give him his puffs, then his insulin, and feed him. He figured out that in order to get food he had to hold still for a few minutes.