Advocating for adult/senior cat adoption -- asking your input

tonnyrespect

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've got some Christmas money handy, and I'm going to use it to have some tri-folds printed with info that will hopefully draw more people to adopting adult cats instead of nothing but kittens kittens kittens. Like many of you, I've fostered cats for the local shelter, and I go back month after month and see the same great adult cats living in cages they'll probably never leave because they've got a few miles on them. I figure I'll distribute them at the local shelters, pet food stores, vets offices, etc. Maybe with a thin website as well with the same info and links to local shelters and animal charities.

I'd like to give a list of benefits to adopting/owning an adult cat, and I'd love your feedback because I'm sure I haven't quite thought of everything.

Some examples would be:
1.) Surrendered adult cats are socialized and have had any behavioral problems noted by former owners or shelter staff.

2.) Adult cats are likely to be pre-chipped, vaccinated, and spayed/neutered.

3.) Adult cats have already developed a "personality" that you can observe when visiting with them at the shelter. Not all cute kittens grow up to be friendly cats
etc, etc

Would any older cat owners (or past owners) care to contribute to the list? It would be greatly appreciated and I'll post images of the tri-fold once it's finished.

dennis47

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Generally, I have found adopting an older cat to have more pluses than minuses. They can be set in their ways, for sure, but they are generally grateful that in their later stages of life that one of us takes them in, not just into our homes, but also into our hearts. I adopted an 11-year old Tabby named Anastasia (Annie for short) that someone had dropped off in an animal shelter, then promptly forgot about, I suspect, on purpose. I hoped that I helped to make her final 5 years on this earth a lot easier to endure. She died peacefully in my arms one snowy Saturday afternoon in February 2001, and I buried her in a forest in southern Missouri, where it was peaceful and beautiful. Outside of my Midnight, Annie was the best cat I ever had.

So yes, I am a firm supporter of older cat adoption. They need love and tenderness too, just like we need more of when we age. I doubt you will regret adopting one and letting them become an integral part of your life.

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great idea! Let's see:

-Kittens are fun, but they are time-consuming and a lot of work! They're always getting into trouble and making a mess, which you don't have to deal with with an adult cat!

-Senior cats especially will often come to shelters because their owner has passed away or is too ill to care for them. Since they have lived in a loving home for so long, they understand and enjoy how to be someone's pet very much.

-Adult cats are a great option for first time cat owners because they are less demanding than kittens, and since they know how to be a pet there's not a lot you'll have to teach them.

-Cats have long lives. Even though a cat is already 5 years old, with good care it's likely to be with you for another 10-15 years.

-Many older cats have very entertaining and lively personalities, but because they miss being in a home, they are depressed in shelters and may not show their true vibrant selves in an adoption setting. Be sure to ask talk to their foster parent or someone who knows more about the cat what they're like at home! (In my experience as a volunteer, we've had so many cats who are scared or grumpy at adoptions blossom into the sweetest, most loving pets as soon as they go home with a family!)

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What a great idea :bigthumb:

You might find this article helpful. You'd have to ask @Anne about using it verbatim though.[article="30136"][/article]

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My heart is always with the adults/seniors.

With kittens, you never know what you're going to get personality wise.

Adults are established.

Kittens don't mind shelter life as long as they have a sibling to romp with.

Adults/seniors care very much, shelter life in a cage is confusing, depressing, they don't understand what happened and are very stressed.

Kittens are 10 times the work of an older cat.

Kittens are 10 times more likely to get adopted.

Kittens feel entitled, older cats are grateful and loyal.

Kittens keep you up all night, older cats will keep you company all night.

Also one thing we do to help give incentive to adopt older cats is having their fee less then for kittens, and also the hardest to adopt we will waive their fees.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

tonnyrespect

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

My heart is always with the adults/seniors.

With kittens, you never know what you're going to get personality wise.

Adults are established.
Such a great point. I've had cats my whole life and have seen more than one cute kitten grow up to be an unfriendly cat.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Older Cats are already trained; litter box, clawing with furniture, play. They are grateful for anything you do for them.

They can and will be your best friend.

They have had a hard life, abruptly being taken from their loved one. They want love.

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
Older cats (especially seniors) are generally calmer, more lovey-dovey, more sure of themselves... and so full of soul! I'm not sure how to explain that last part, but that is the best way I can describe it. I absolutely love my kittens. They are so awesome, but they ARE a lot of work, and there is that little "destructive" stage, whether it be shredding toilet paper (!!!) or knocking things down. It's par for the course. My justification for taking them in was it would be keeping them out of "the system" if you will.

But I've got a soft spot in my heart for the seniors. I saw one of our local shelters showing a pair of 14-year-old littermates up for adoption. They had been adopted but then returned back to the shelter for some reason. I already decided that when the time comes for me to adopt again, I'm going to be looking for senior kitties. I adopted a young adult kitty recently, and I remember when I was at the shelter petting some of the older kitties. Wishing so much I could have taken more than just one at that point. I needed someone that was younger and could put up with the boys.

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Everyone has mentioned everything I would have said, but I wanted to say well done for doing what you are doing! I just love senior cats! This makes my heart happy, maybe I should do the same for places in my area its a great idea!

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
how about cost? Some people are money motivated..

Does your shelter offer reduced  adoption fees for older cats?

How about help with medical bills for senior cats? Vet care for seniors? 

I'd mention those too.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Many rescues here have a seniors for seniors program.  It involves a drastically reduced fee for older people to adopt a senior kitty.  The practical fact for those of us who are older is that a kitten could well outlive us or our ability to live where we can have a cat.  Of course it isn't something that is explicitly said by the rescue they simply have what they call a seniors for seniors adoption program.

donutte

Top Cat
Purraise
Many rescues here have a seniors for seniors program.  It involves a drastically reduced fee for older people to adopt a senior kitty.  The practical fact for those of us who are older is that a kitten could well outlive us or our ability to live where we can have a cat.  Of course it isn't something that is explicitly said by the rescue they simply have what they call a seniors for seniors adoption program.
A lot of the rescue and shelter organizations by me have that as well. There's actually an organization (in another state, forget the name of it) which is exclusively for pairing senior dogs with seniors. I liked their FB page because I just thought that was so cool.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tonnyrespect

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks a lot you guys, there's some great stuff here! I'm contracting a freelancer to do the design and graphics for the printed materials and I'll post a PDF when its done in case anyone wants to see or print off some of their own.

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Tonnyrespect- what a great thing to do! I think it is wonderful, I hope many people will be inspired to adopt an older cat because of what you are doing.

I have a question for everyone. I was going to start a new thread but didn't know where to put it. It seems to fit here.

Years ago I adopted a senior cat as a companion to another senior cat. That was wonderful but they are gone now. I have 2, 3 year old male cats. Recently I have become acquainted with an 8 year old male cat. He spent months in the shelter and is now in a pet store thru a rescue group. He is a huge guy, he seems easy going and go-with -the flow. My question is this- have any of you ever adopted a senior cat while having younger cats at home?

I have some loose ends to tie up in my life this week but was seriously wanting to adopt him ( if he is still there) very soon. My husband thinks a younger cat is a good idea. I can say that isn't always true. I adopted a cat over the summer, many months later it was more than obvious that she needed to be an only cat and it took quite awhile to find her a happy home.

Any advice is welcome.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I adopted Autumn as an almost 3 yr. old.  My first cat was a kitten but now as I am older, I wanted an older cat. 

The first thing people should know and I'm sure most of us do is that yes, older cats will be euthanized a lot sooner than kittens.  For that reason alone, people should adopt the older or senior cats. 

My next cat will definitely be a senior, as long as she is healthy, I'm fine with that.  These cats need to be shown love and a forever home especially if they have been living in a no-kill shelter for a long time.  These cats should never just know living in a cage for their whole lives.  They deserve a happy and loving home as well as the kittens.

They will probably know how much you care for them and become a loving, content and good friend for you.

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@Maureen Brad, I haven't personally brought an older cat into a house with younger ones, but I think it could be very doable. You should ask the rescue group if he's lived with other cats before, and if he hasn't you could ask if they ever let their cats go out on trial for a couple weeks-that way if you take him home and he is just completely miserable with other cats in the house and shows no signs of improving, you could take him back. 

Especially because your cats aren't kittens or even teenagers, I don't imagine it'd be that different from adopting another 3 year old. You'd have to do the introductions properly and slowly of course, and if he didn't get along I think it would just be because of his personal preferences and not the age gap.

dennis47

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Personally, I would go for the older cat. They generally aren't as rambuncious as young cats are, and I have found that most elders just want a nice place to call their own to live out the remainder of their lives. Also I have discovered that when they give you their love, it is something that they deem is worthwhile to give to you. Earning a cat's trust is a great thing, and with an older one, you can be dead certain that it isn't a fickle measure on their part by any means.

Yes, they may incure more health issues. And yes, they will cross the Bridge sooner (usually than a younger cat), but I feel that is just one more reason to get one. All creatures, great and small, all animals, deserve to be cared for and loved, especially in their winter seasons of life. In my humble opinion, go for an older cat.

Proper intros need to be done between the cats, obviously, but  this shouldn't be much of a problem...usually. Keep in mind, every cat has a different personality, just as we do.

donutte

Top Cat
Purraise
We brought in older cats before with younger cats. We did already have one older cat, but I don't think he was quite as old as the other one. Ali Cat was... 14 we moved out here? Sammy was 16, I think, when we got him (literally the day after we moved here). I think Roberta was the same age as Ali Cat. We had actually gotten her originally the same time as Ali Cat (when they were kittens) but my sister took Roberta when she moved. Then we got her back so many years later.

Ok, so that's not exactly the same. But with that said, I've been contemplating adopting after the kittens get a few years older. And definitely not adopting again while we still have Sara and Maple. Poor Sara hates the newbies, as does Maple. But when the time is right, I'd like to adopt possibly a bonded older pair of seniors. Even if they aren't perfectly healthy. I've had more than my share of experience with older-cat issues. They need love too!

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittens get the crazies and they can simply drive you crazy!! Lol. The one i rescued at around 2.5 years of age is way better behaved than te one i adopted at 5 months.

Tonnyrespect- what a great thing to do! I think it is wonderful, I hope many people will be inspired to adopt an older cat because of what you are doing.

I have a question for everyone. I was going to start a new thread but didn't know where to put it. It seems to fit here.

Years ago I adopted a senior cat as a companion to another senior cat. That was wonderful but they are gone now. I have 2, 3 year old male cats. Recently I have become acquainted with an 8 year old male cat. He spent months in the shelter and is now in a pet store thru a rescue group. He is a huge guy, he seems easy going and go-with -the flow. My question is this- have any of you ever adopted a senior cat while having younger cats at home?
I have some loose ends to tie up in my life this week but was seriously wanting to adopt him ( if he is still there) very soon. My husband thinks a younger cat is a good idea. I can say that isn't always true. I adopted a cat over the summer, many months later it was more than obvious that she needed to be an only cat and it took quite awhile to find her a happy home.

Any advice is welcome.
I think adopting the 8yo is fine because im guessing your 3 yos arent as rambunctious as kittens. They are well into adulthood.

Last edited:

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the advice. Rest assured I was never thinking about adopting a kitten. When I said 'younger cat' I meant 2-5 years old. I can only take in one more and I think kittens do better in pairs. My cats are still pretty active. One in particular would love to wrestle and such but the other one won't have it.

As far as the 8 year old. No one has background on him but, at the pet store the volunteers let all the cats out several times a day.There are a couple aggressive players in there and my cat does not seem overly concerned, he backs up when they are going nuts but he doesn't run away or get aggressive. He just seems mild mannered and calm. He is really fat and needs a diet though.If he is still there next week I think I will go get him. I don't really even think of an 8 year old as a senior. I miss having older cats, as much as I love my guys I am glad they are reaching maturity and calming down a little.