Advice

xKhv

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone I have a cat who was supposed to be getting fixed next but did end up sneaking out at some point and is very pregnant now. Her sister is already fixed and I do plan on getting her fixed as soon as the vet will they just couldn’t get them in on the same day and that’s how we got here.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how much longer it might be untill kittens because I’m afraid of her getting out and having them outside. She’s great at escaping (can open the ac and some windows) I do have her inside and have been doing the best I can to keep her in and I plan on trying my best to keep her in.

She has been eating a lot the last few weeks. I fill her dish and 5 minutes later it’s gone. She’s gotten pretty big at this point and I’ve noticed her stomach is starting to hang kind of low today. Her nipples are pink and plump and I’m not sure if there’s any milk yet because she’s doesn’t like me feeling her stomach much. She has been a little more loving lately and will let me (only me) pet her tummy when she comes up to me. I’ve noticed her grooming more but nothing dramatic. She’s been sleeping a lot today and yesterday so I think she’s close but just not sure. Just wanted to know if you guys thought she’s have them within the next few days or if it might be a week or longer. Any advice is great. I have done lots of research and had tried calling the vet but they can’t get her in for a while so I thought I’d ask you guys. I’ll try to add some pictures of her but they don’t really show how big she is.
5ED89387-5900-470A-B294-B987FD12312C.jpeg
BF88FF27-6C3B-41E5-84B4-8FB659F79316.jpeg

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Keep offering her as much food and water as she wants. Kitten food is ideal until the kittens are done nursing. You’ll also want to remove her collar so kittens don’t get caught on it.

Please keep us up to date on her. Feel free to update this thread as needed:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xKhv

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: I just seen a whole oval outline of a kitten in her stomach when she walked into my room. Is that normal it looked insane and I’ve never seen anything like it before. It’s gone now so I think it moved away.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What is it for collar on her?
Anti-flea?

xKhv

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It was an old flea/tick collar she wouldn’t let me take it off. I know your supposed to take them off. It’s really old though and the meds ran out months ago (I know that doesn’t make it much better but at least I didn’t put it on while she was pregnate) Not really sure why she wouldn’t let me get it off I’ve been trying for a while so I could put her normal one back on. I did have someone help me distract her so I could take it off. I would’ve gotten it off sooner but she didn’t really show signs untill lately. (she’s had false pregnancy’s in the past) We know for a fact this one is real because she got out this time plus we can feel them and see them. I did call my vet about getting her fixed after the kittens are born and they said once they are born to let them know and we can figure out an appointment.

Update: She did come make me pet her though and I felt 3 kittens on the one side! There’s a lot more movement and it’s much easier to feel them when you pet her now!! I think she’s getting close. Still sleeping a lot but she’s sleeping in my room a lot now so I think she might have them in my closet but we will see.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually if you can feel them moving, she's in the last 2 weeks. BUT. . .she's not huge (poor things look like they've swallowed a basketball at the end!), and she hasn't lost the fur around her nipples yet. So I'm not sure. It would be a small litter if she's really close.

Do you have any idea when she may have gotten pregnant?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually if you can feel them moving, she's in the last 2 weeks. BUT. . .she's not huge (poor things look like they've swallowed a basketball at the end!), and she hasn't lost the fur around her nipples yet. So I'm not sure. It would be a small litter if she's really close.

Do you have any idea when she may have gotten pregnant?

xKhv

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
*sorry this is long*
She was a small cat before she got pregnant and I did end up getting some better pictures finally today! (The picture of her with the red collar is before she got pregnant to try and show how small she was) She’s been sleeping all day except when she wants me to rub her tummy. She really hasn’t been eating much today and she has been eating nonstop untill today. I did notice her nipples are showing more and the fur around them is starting to thin out and go away. (The pictures of them are kind of bad angles but that’s all I could get they look larger in person as does her belly) She hasn’t really tried to leave my room today, not meowing at the door and not upset she’s in here. Shes just sleeping on my floor calm and relaxed instead of worrying about going outside. (I keep her in my room so she can’t slip out the door when the dog goes out) I do let her out and play around the house but I have to watch her still. She was escaping by opening the AC and jumping But we took it out of the window and closed it so she couldn’t anymore. (We all agreed her safety and having the kittns inside was more important) She’s also started having really bad gas every time I pet her tummy or even if she moves a certain way it smells horrible! Is that normal?

I’ve been trying to figure out when she might have gotten pregnant but she doesn’t go into heat often and she didn’t show many signs of it. I’m really upset that she got out I never wanted her to have to be a mom because she is so small and I know the risk that comes with it. I also hate to see all the cats at the shelters who need homes. That’s another huge reason she was supposed to get fixed but like I said my vet said after she has the kittens to let him know and we can figure out what day to get her fixed. I wanted to try and get her into the vet to see how many days they think are left untill she has them. But it would be over a week untill they could get her in and other vets are really long drives away and id hate to stress her out. (She hates being locked in a cage) But you all are super helpful and I’m glad there’s a community I can ask for help from!!
9F409707-5E90-4052-AB44-E8EA3A5F106B.jpeg
FCC333F5-7E5F-4E27-A11D-69EFEFAA1FF9.jpeg
F992EF3D-BD5B-49AF-9010-E2A429C2A4FA.jpeg
BCB0C62E-259C-4E6D-ACD6-AD50DEDE40B3.png

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly, without knowing anything else about the situation, I'd guess she's only about halfway along, 5 weeks or so. But if you can feel them. . .heh. Guess they'll just have to come when they come!

xKhv

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: I woke up and went to check on her and she went and got something to eat and started to meow. I went down to the bathroom and she was waiting outside the door and walked in meowing when I came out and started to walk up the steps still meowing. I brought her into my room and she just kept meowing so I decided to try and pet her to calm her down and now she’s glued to me wanting all the love she can get. I believe her breathing has gotten a little heavier but she’s laying next to me calming down. I think it might almost be time.