Advice, Please

Ryanna l

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay so, ive been around cats my entire life.. even when theyve given birth. Usually all i see is cats giving birth to their entire litter of kittens within a day/few hours and all is well, however.. my cat that ive had for years now became pregnant (last year, had an appointment to get fixed but she disappeared and ended up having kittens outside, were also planning on getting her fixed now. This is her 2nd litter)
I suspected she was pregnant, at about 4am friday night she came home and wanted in, she tried to go under the kitchen cabinet and eventually went to my closet and proceeded to have two babies feet first (i had to help with the first one and clean it for her, second one she did well on her own) however its now 4:30am and Sunday and she's still huge and feels like she may have a kitten or a few inside her still. She wont stay still long enough for me to press and feel but shes still very big and tight and she doesnt appreciate when i rub her stomach, other than that shes really tentative to her two babies and taking care of them, but what happens if she actually has others inside of her that haven't been born in a few days? Im worried if she'll miscarry them or theyll come out way later and then she'll be dried up and not able to nurse them if she does have kittens that are still waiting to come out. Again i wouldnt be worried about it but ive never had a cat that has still felt and looked pregnant after a few days after delivering 2 kittens.....((besides a cat i had that we took care of for a bit that was pregnant, what we believed happened was she tried to miscarry and was leaking reddish brown liquid for a week, and then she ended up birthing two babies, one of which was dead when it came out, looked disfigured and just.. awful, the other died of breathing complications hours after being born, and then a few days go by and she had 3 more. One looked normal, one had massive bubble eyes, and the last one had a bad cleft pallet that ran up its mouth into its nose. Sadly they all passed away within a week because we couldnt get help(vets wouldnt help with kittens)
But with that in the back of my mind it makes me worry about my cat i have now. Her two kittens are perfect and eating, sleeping, staying warm, ect.. but im scared she has more in her and that she wasnr actually ready to have them. Sadly, i cant take her to the vet either as our vets ahem.. arent the best and also have to have you pay upfront and we're not able to afford a vet right now. (((Please no bad comments, she has an appointment in a few months to get her fixed thanks to a spay/neuter program in our area, this pregnancy was unexpected as she ran off and didnt come back until the other night)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ryanna l

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I do need to also add (cause i dont see a edit option) that mama seems perfectly fine. Eating, drinking, using thr litter box, and just being her normal self. I do however feel a small ball on one side of her stomach and her stomach is still pushed out bur i cant hold my hand there to tell if its moving or not because she wont lay down and relax (shes a cuddle bug) and she doesnt want me touching her stomach at all.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I do need to also add (cause i dont see a edit option) that mama seems perfectly fine. Eating, drinking, using thr litter box, and just being her normal self. I do however feel a small ball on one side of her stomach and her stomach is still pushed out bur i cant hold my hand there to tell if its moving or not because she wont lay down and relax (shes a cuddle bug) and she doesnt want me touching her stomach at all.
Its not completely unusual they have births days apart. (As you yourself tell; even if these others were apparently miss formed.).

Another common option is, momma may seem to have still one baby, but hasnt. One of our forumites was sure she saw and felt movements.
No baby, but gases... And the internal organs are often swollen and feels hard a couple of days...

So, how to know? Easy. You observer closely and look on momma. If she is fine, no visible troubles save some normal discharges and occasional afterpain; you dont need to do anything.
Either is she still pregnant, and the last baby will come a couple days later.
Or she isnt pregnant no more, and everything goes on as usual...

So, DO observe closely and be watchful, but you can relax, as you do tell she seems fine by every account you can see. And you are quite experienced with cats, so you know when a cat is ill and when its fine.

Good luck!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree with StefanZ StefanZ . Just wait it out. She’ll have any kittens remaining when they and her body are ready or go back to normal if no kittens remain. As long as she is not in distress try not to worry.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ryanna l

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Its not completely unusual they have births days apart. (As you yourself tell; even if these others were apparently miss formed.).

Another common option is, momma may seem to have still one baby, but hasnt. One of our forumites was sure she saw and felt movements.
No baby, but gases... And the internal organs are often swollen and feels hard a couple of days...

So, how to know? Easy. You observer closely and look on momma. If she is fine, no visible troubles save some normal discharges and occasional afterpain; you dont need to do anything.
Either is she still pregnant, and the last baby will come a couple days later.
Or she isnt pregnant no more, and everything goes on as usual...

So, DO observe closely and be watchful, but you can relax, as you do tell she seems fine by every account you can see. And you are quite experienced with cats, so you know when a cat is ill and when its fine.

Good luck!
Thank you, momma seems to be doing wonderful with them and they both look great. Shes taking great care of them and doesnt seem to be in any distress at all so i think its safe to say she's okay she just may be swollen or bloated but ill still keep an eye on her.

Joelle and the kittens

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Agreed with the advice given already, but also please do not let her outside at all until she is fixed. Cats can get pregnant again very soon after giving birth, and besides that she could get hit by a car or killed by a predator and then you'd have to spend a lot of money, time, and emotional effort bottle feeding her babies. My shelter gets these cases—where the mother is killed and the owners can't afford/don't care to raise the kittens—ALL THE TIME, including a litter today.