Advice please

Ilana00123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello , my name is ilana.
I adopted Boby 6 month ago, he is a
mixed british cat and he is about a year and a half years old.
He is suffering from consistent ear infection and teary eyes.
First its sarted with a bad ear infection(just went we got him ), we gave him antibiotic for a couple of weaks and It helped .
A month ago his eyes started to water and again ,we gave him antibiotic for a week and it helped.
But,from that point it comes and goes every couple of weeks.
I dont want to give him antibiotic all the time ,so i will be glad to have some advice.

By the way in case of allergy, he eats fixed meals with dry and wet food , he is very peaky with it so i dont know how to change his meals.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello!
Could you provide some more information?

Has he been to a vet, or are you home-medicating?

What brand of food are you feeding?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ilana00123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes!
The vet took a sample from his ears and adviced us to start a process for detecting the type of the allergy, but again, he was not sure that this is the problem.
The process including changing his food menu.
He was eating Royal canin dry food until a couple of days, now we switched to hypoallergenic dry food of Royal canin, but we have some difficulties to change his wet food.
We tryed Hills compeny but he didnt want it and he actually puked a day after.

In addition he gave us again antibiotic for 20 days and a pill called apoquel.

Im not sure about all the amount of changes for Boby , is there a chance we hurting him more then we helping him?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely give hypoallergenic foods until you find what he is allergic to. If the dry is working right now continue it and worry about changing his diet to wet later. Apoquel is for treating allergies but is not the first choice. Ask your vet about Benadryl, 1 mg per pound of cat, capsules/pills are 25 mg. so 1/2 capsule would be for a 12.5 lb cat. It can be given twice a day, but is VERY bitter so must be hidden, like in the center of a small piece of cheese, etc, or Pill pocket (small piece) so hopefully they swallow it. You might ask about another allergy medicine, I take pills and put them in a tore off piece of Pill pocket for cats, then push it into a tiny piece of bacon. I gave pills for years to act like this. All the luck!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Read the ingredients carefully. Many foods don't include chicken in the 'big print' list do include chicken meal and chicken fat. It can mess up your elimination diet trials. This includes the special diet food from the expensive places.

Our current cat threw up after every meal of wet food - Purina or Mars- no matter the flavor. This maybe why she learned to hate wet food. We never figured out what disagreed with her, but by continuing to try different brands (not just different flavors, but different manufacturers) we found some she kept down and liked.

Note - with a cat with sensitive issues you need to keep up with who owns the cat food you are feeding her. Manufacturers sell their pet food lines regularly and the new owner will change the ingredients. By the current regulations they don't have to change the label for six months after they change the ingredients. I check every six months or
so. If your cats starts reacting badly to a food she's liked, check then. It isn't always easy to find the owner, but try to go through as many layers as you can.

don't feel bad about him not eating the Science Diet. My dogs wouldn't eat the Hill's special diet food and dogs aren't nearly as picky as cats.
There's a chance there was something in that food that didn't agree with him and he knew it.

I did have one with seasonal allergies pine pollen and oak pollen. Di has excellent advice for that.

Ilana00123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
First of all thank you very much for the the advices , we will definitely go on with the allergy diet.
Do you have some wet food companes you recomend?
Becouse Boby isnt eating dry food without wet food.
May i ask how did u find out about your dog's allergy?
Again thank you

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Finding wet food without chicken in it, is possible. Fromm and many other smaller companies make wet food too. You can find them on their own websites and at Chewy.com and Pet supply websites.

when the cat threw up after every meal the vet suggested she had IBD without any testing. That seemed terrible since she wasn't even a year old then.

Since I believe in starting with the least drastic thing first I thought, why not consider allergies first? I knew allergies could cause vomiting, and I'd had one who was allergic to pollen before. Looking around the net I saw that many seemed to be allergic to chicken. If my cat had been willing to eat 'people food' I would have started with that elimination diet. (others on this board will be better able to tell you about those), but she wouldn't. The only common thing in her food was chicken.

I got other food, but even it had chicken meal and chicken fat in it. I was told that some cats could tolerate chicken meal and fat, but not chicken. Okay. She still vomits after eating Purina and Mars foods so I think she is allergic to something in their base rather than chicken.

That she doesn't throw up any more is why I think it was an allergie and certainly not IBD.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please note, I'm not dissing Purina or Mars. With previous cats I bought 14-28 cans of Friskies a week and they were happy with it and kept it down. That is also why I thought we might be dealing with an allergy.

Ilana00123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank u,
We are trying to accustomate Boby to the dry food.
Today he had like an allergic outbreak , his eyes stared to wet, but in very high amount and his thired eyelid came out.
It happend today after we cleaned the house.
Outbreak like this could happend because of the cleaning matrial? Or this ia something that takes time to outbreak like this?, because we still didnt change the wet food to hypoallegenic one, and the dry food(arden grange) contains oil chicken and chicken digest.