Advice- I submitted an application to a rescue, but now I need to withdraw it..don't want to ruin my

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi there 
 I haven't posted in a while, so I hope everyone here and your kitties are doing well ...

I applied to adopt a min pin from a rescue. Now I am having second thoughts, because I just don't think I'm ready to add a dog to my life..My SO was working from home for a really long time, and was at the time I applied, however he was just assigned to a project in CT, so he travels there for 3 days out of the week. When he isn't here, I don't usually stay at our apartment..I stay at a friends house or my parents, because  I don't like being by myself..

So anyway I think my routine is just not consistent enough to have a dog. I also work full time. 

This rescue is sooo great. I spoke with one of the people who screens applicants and she was so nice. She checked my vet and personal reference, and now the next step is to do a home visit. But since I've reconsidered, I really want to put my application on hold, I want to get a dog from them possibly next year. I've had several calls from them asking to schedule the home visit but I haven't returned them yet because I don't know what to say.

Since I know a lot of you are involved in rescues, maybe you can tell me- would it be considered a red flag if I just withdrew my application or asked them to put it on hold??? How should I approach this?

Last edited:

binkyhoo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are not sure you want a dog, then ok. Only you can decide what is best for you.  What is best for you is most likly to be best for the animal too.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just be honest with them.

Tell them  you had put the application in last year, and since then your life circumstances have changed, and explain that you wouldn't have the proper time to dedicate to the dog right now, that he would need.

That would make you look like a responsible pet parent in their eyes because you have put the dogs needs in front of your own.

Tell them that you would like to contact them again next year.

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 l agree with Natalie.

Frame your desire to put your application on hold as being in the dog's best interest (which it sounds like it is). Your situation changed unexpectedly, and your current situation of living only half-week at home will not be conducive to the stability needed by a new rescue.

l think that would be seen in a positive light.

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi there 

I haven't posted in a while, so I hope everyone here and your kitties are doing well ...

I applied to adopt a min pin from a rescue. Now I am having second thoughts, because I just don't think I'm ready to add a dog to my life..My SO was working from home for a really long time, and was at the time I applied, however he was just assigned to a project in CT, so he travels there for 3 days out of the week. When he isn't here, I don't usually stay at our apartment..I stay at a friends house or my parents, because  I don't like being by myself..
So anyway I think my routine is just not consistent enough to have a dog. I also work full time. 

This rescue is sooo great. I spoke with one of the people who screens applicants and she was so nice. She checked my vet and personal reference, and now the next step is to do a home visit. But since I've reconsidered, I really want to put my application on hold, I want to get a dog from them possibly next year. I've had several calls from them asking to schedule the home visit but I haven't returned them yet because I don't know what to say.
Since I know a lot of you are involved in rescues, maybe you can tell me- would it be considered a red flag if I just withdrew my application or asked them to put it on hold??? How should I approach this?
Tell them exactly what you told us. They will not want to place a pet in the home if there are second thoughts or a major life change is happening. They will certainly understand and when you are ready, you can go back to them. They will not hold this against you. Well, unless you keep doing it over and over...