Advice for senior Persian dental

ahow1987

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys, I am in need of some advice. I have a 12 year old Persian male and he’s always had a funky mouth since he was young (I’ve had him since 6 months old). He goes to the vet regularly and they always look in his mouth and comment about his gums etc but they never suggest a dental. They kind of just say that’s his breed. In the back of my mind I’ve always avoided any teeth stuff with him because of the fear of putting him under anesthesia. He was even at the vet last month and it wasn’t a issue.

today I opened his mouth and noticed his front big fang is loose! It wobbles when I touch it. I’m very worried now because is this somthing that he will need to be put under for? He’s 12 I worry he won’t make it if he gets a dental. Any advice? Thanks guys

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi - at 12 he's not that old, especially since you've gotten him in for his checkups regularly. There is a way for the anesthesia to be adjusted for older cats.

I would take him to another vet since this one doesn't seem to be focused on the issue. I think I've read that there are veterinarians that specialize in dentistry, but in any case, a cat-only vet would be good.

Find a Veterinarian and Practice | The Cat Community