Advice for caring for an incontinent cat?

supershani

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

I have a large (13 lb) 6 year old tuxedo breed female cat who in March had to get an emergency enema for a constipation blockage. When she came home, she could barely use her hind legs and the vet told me that they had to struggle with her so she might be sore. After a few days she regained strength in her legs but has been leaking large puddles of urine anywhere she lays or sleeps. The urine is usually clear and has a very faint odor. She just finished up a two week antibiotic treatment for a UTI which turned into an e.coli infection, yet she is still suffering from incontinence. I've been back and forth to the vet about 8 times since this March trying to figure out what is wrong, but they have yet to figure out why she is incontinent. She is also now having trouble walking up stairs and looks as if she's almost limping. We have an appointment schedule for next week for the doctor to do a urine sample, bloodwork and to check her joints. Wondering if anyone else has dealt with this issue and if you have any advice? I love our vet, but I'm wondering if it would be smart to go to another vet for a separate opinion?

I appreciate any advice. Thank you!

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has the vet done an x-ray? I wonder if something happened to her spine during the procedure...I'm not sure how invasive it had to be, if the blockage was difficult to eliminate, or the position of her tail or legs while the procedure was done...
I'm sort of at a loss as I've never dealt with a post enema complications but in humans, when put under anesthesia, the nurses are very careful to place the body and limbs in the most neutral positions to prevent nerve/muscle issues post surgery. They'll even make sure that any...ahem..."skin/tissue appendages" are placed so there is no pinching and make sure there is proper blood flow, so I know the body position is very important and would assume it's the same for any animal.
As for the incontinence, I've only ever experienced it with a post cystitis/catheter. But the incontinence was temporary for about 3-4 weeks. We basically put puppy pads in the most common areas our boy liked to sleep and also would use them to carry him around with us...in the very beginning when he was all drugged up and not moving well on his own.

I truly hope you get this figured out soon. And it's never a bad idea to get a second opinion if you think you need it. Just make sure get copies of all tests done already so that the new vet doesn't need the same tests done if it's not necessary. It will save kitty from extra stress and you some extra money....

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I can't offer much, but wanted to acknowledge your post and tell you that I do think you need to get a second opinion, from a vet in an entirely different practice (to avoid colleague bias). Get a copy of all her records from your current vet to share with a new vet, to help reduce redundant testing costs. I would want to get a second opinion primarily because her incontinence started after the constipation blockage/enema, and that does not sound right, especially with the trouble walking.

UTIs brought on by e. coli infections can be hard to eradicate. But, incontinence from such an infection is no more common than one from any kind of UTI. E coli infections are generally from feces entering the urethra and then on into the bladder. The enema, followed by an e coli infection is curious to me.

I hope other members will come along soon and have more informative suggestions/advice for you!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
As to what's happening, that's definitely for a Vet to determine, but I do know they make diapers for incontinent cats and dogs, so you might check into those until you can get to the bottom of this. Just google them. Puppy pads work too, as suggested above.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Definitely get another opinion. My 14 year old diabetic cat died 7 months ago after coming home from the vet for a fructosamine test. She was not abused, I am sure, but she definitely struggled and it all created a perfect storm. The word "stuggle" is what caught my eye in your post; if you had said that she was sedated it would be a different story.

I agree that as to immediate management use puppy pads if your cat will go to the same spot or spots and if not give diapers a try.

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
I strongly recommend you get a second opinion from a different vet. Even a third, if needed. There’s no sense in continuing to go back to the same vet until you seek out other opinions first at this point.

Your current vet does not sound aggressive enough or as concerned as they should be. The sort of issues you’re talking about here are very concerning and far likely beyond the scope of associated complications or after effects of an enema or UTI.

Make sure to get a copy of all her records. Or just call the clinic and ask that they email you a copy of all of her lab work since March, and forward that to any new vets you see.

For short term solutions, puppy pads are your best bet.

If it’s on your couch or bed, and if it’s really bad, you’re really desperate, and you have the money, you can buy plastic covers for the mattress (“moving covers”) and couch.

We’ve had to do that before with similar issues. For the couch, we actually put a washable cloth cover over the plastic one to make it more comfortable and for better aesthetics. I was dreading it, but got used to it after a day.

Keep advocating for your cat, you’re doing a great job.