Adored beast gut sooth + psyllium husk

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My IMD suggested psyllium husk which includes a probiotic. Has anyone used it with ab? Maggie has watery stool but her blood work including chemistry came out excellent

Jabzilla

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey there,
I've used both psyllium husk and Adored Beast Gut Soothe for my cat. Both of them get one tsp of psyllium mixed into their weekly batch of food. My cat who's been having weird prolapse issues has also been getting 1/4 tsp of Gut Soothe each day and it has helped a lot with reducing inflammation in his colon. Neither of my cats have been having diarreah though, so I cant say how well those things would help with that issue. Overall though, AB Gut Soothe has been excellent and my cats have been getting psyllium husk in their raw food for years w/o issue.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
She no longer has inflammation using gut sooth. I will start mixing it with psy but I'm not sure which one to buy since they all include probiotic

Jabzilla

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm glad to hear the Gut Soothe has helped with her inflammation! You can buy psyllium husk powder on its own w/o any probiotics in it. NOW Foods, Whole Psyllium Husks, 16 oz (454 g) (iherb.com) That's the brand I use for my cats. Plain psyllium husk naturally has prebiotic functions in that it helps feed gut bacteria. But it doesn't have probiotics.

Jabzilla

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also, since Maggie's current struggle is watery poop I figured I'd share this too. S Boulardii is excellent and there are many threads on The Cat Site talking about how it quickly helped cats who have been having diarreah. I've used it for my cats on the rare occasions where they've had watery poop and it worked very well. My Cat Has Diarrhea - What Do I Do? (foodfurlife.com)

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She no longer has inflammation using gut sooth. I will start mixing it with psy but I'm not sure which one to buy since they all include probiotic
What are the products you're referring to, maggie101 maggie101 ? Are you going to alternate various AB products, including Feline Gut Soothe?

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No,just ab gs and psy. Just not sure which one to buy.
Good, I'm glad you're not going to stop the FGS! (That stuff is so good for Edwina; I can't imagine taking her off it. Even after her surgery last summer, for the patches of stomach inflammation, she only went 6-8 months without problems...)

I don't know enough about psyllium to suggest a brand. Our cats get small amounts of it in Vet's Best anti-hairball tablets: that with FGS is keeping Ireland much more regular these days.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Good, I'm glad you're not going to stop the FGS! (That stuff is so good for Edwina; I can't imagine taking her off it. Even after her surgery last summer, for the patches of stomach inflammation, she only went 6-8 months without problems...)

I don't know enough about psyllium to suggest a brand. Our cats get small amounts of it in Vet's Best anti-hairball tablets: that with FGS is keeping Ireland much more regular these days.
I wasn't aware it's in vets best. I have some! My imd wanted me to use 1/4 teaspoon

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wasn't aware it's in vets best. I have some! My imd wanted me to use 1/4 teaspoon
It's probably a tiny amount. Vet's Best also has small amounts of SEB and marshmallow root (overlapping with FGS) but I did the math on the SEB (even weighing some!) and found the combination's still well under the 1/4 t of SEB powder that many vets recommend giving a cat daily. (I can even still give Edwina a few small doses of SEB syrup and stay within that amount.)

I don't know how that combo would do for your cat's watery stool problem but it works nicely for Ireland's constipation.

Good luck!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
If it continues,I assume the vet will xray

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise