Adoption Regret

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
BTW... I forgot to mention about the scratching...

Cats scratch furniture and carpets because they don't have anywhere else to scratch.

Remember that cats NEED to scratch. Their claws grow in layers like an onion and, as they do, the outside layers need to be shed. The main reason cats need to scratch is to pull away the old, dead layers. Humans don't like it when they get a hangnail. That's probably how cats feel when their claws need to be shed. You'd want to scratch too if your nails were all ragged and itchy.

Make sure that you have at least two places for your cat to scratch. You can buy cat scratchers or you can make them.
An old piece of carpet tied to a wooden 4x4 with zip ties is a cheap and easy project that almost anybody can do. If you're handy with tools, you can make more elaborate creations but a bunch of cardboard boxes tied in a bundle can work, too.

Get at least two cat scratchers and place them in different areas of the house. One upstairs and one downstairs, for instance. Leave them in place for a while until it's clear that the cat is either using it or not. If the cat uses it, all is well. If the cat doesn't, move it to another likely place until you find the right spot.

It's not just the fact that you have a scratcher for your cat. It's just as important to consider location.
Cats probably won't like using a scratcher that's right near the back door because there's too much human traffic but, on the same token, they might not use one that is hidden in a dark corner of the basement.

Casper has two scratching posts. One is near the top landing of the stairs. He likes to sprint up the stairs and attack it, full force. The other is in the corner near the TV. He likes to use that one in the evening while we are watching TV. We think he likes that one because he gets attention.

I'm not too worried about your choice of cat scratchers. You're such a conscientious person that I know that you'll do the right thing. :tabbycat:

biancavd

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think it's better to look at what causes your anxiety. What worries you? It might not necessarily be the cat, she does sound lovely and I think she adapted really well for an 8-year-old!!

So what worries you? It's natural to feel a little scared when you have your first cat with you at home. It's not easy, and you suddenly feel extremely responsible for that little ball of fur roaming your home. You don't get a connection with them in the first hour, but it will grow. Within days you won't be able to remember your life without, trust me.

It might be best to first start with the basics. Do you have everything in your home that she needs? A litterbox, litter, bowls, food, water, a scratching post (or 2), toys, possible cat candy (can't go without spoiling our little babies), a carrier (for if you have to go to the vet). Did you catproof the house as in removing all the toxic plants, removing breakables or wobbly things, etc.

If that is all in order, maybe you feel anxiety because you worry about things like how to take care of her? For that, you have this amazing forum called thecatsite.com, where you can ask all your questions and share your worries! We are here to help you.

I think you will be fine though. Everyone once started with their first pet, no knowledge, maybe a sudden decision and before you know it you are in the middle of it. You will adjust quickly.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally i think that some anxiety is a good thing. It shows you know what kind of responsibility you took on when your brought her home. There are many things in this world that seem butt backward. Pets are a major responsibility and too many adopt for the feel good moment. And as biancavd biancavd mentioned you landed on a wonderful forum to help you get past the fear and anxiety and found a place you could ask questions without judgement.

abbyemma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Today I impulsively adopted a cat. I’ve been thinking about it for months, but I was going to wait until I saw a cat today that I thought was my perfect match. She’s 8 years old and affectionate and calm.
That being said, the second I brought her home I was filled with deep anxiety and regret. I haven’t been able to calm down since bringing her home and I fear I’ve made a huge mistake. She does normal cat things like scratch at my carpet and want to play at 3am, all of which I was prepared for in theory, but in practice it’s just heightening my anxiety.
I know it’s only been a day, but I’m close to sobbing again today about wanting to take her back to the shelter. I feel like a horrible person— she’s a great cat and there’s nothing wrong with her. I just don’t know if I was emotionally ready to care for a cat and it’s triggering a lot of anxiety for me.
Any advice?