Adoption Help

kabella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not exactly sure this category is where this thread belongs but it didn't really fit into any other category. First, let me start by saying this might become pretty lengthy but I will try to be least descriptive as possible and also put a "tl;dr" at the end. I have an almost 2 year old male cat who I've had since July 2016. He's very sweet and very spoiled but he doesn't have a mean bone in his body. Now, I just adopted a 13 year old cat on January 26. She was found by animal control as a stray and taken to my local shelter and then transferred to the adoption center at the PetSmart I work at, which is where I found her. She's also very sweet and all she wants is for me to be with her all day. I just found out from my local vet that she has a grade 3-4 heart murmur but is otherwise healthy. She warmed up to me pretty quickly and, in the past couple days, has been thrilled while exploring around the house. With all that being said, I'm starting to feel some adoption regret. There's two problems that I'm having.

The first is with my male resident cat, Del. He has no social skills, the last time he's interacted with other cats was when he was a baby and playing with his littermates. I wouldn't say he has a problem with Flower, the new cat, but he is constantly bugging her. Right now Flower is staying in my room and Del is only allowed in while I'm in there. When I do let him in, she'll peek at him but mainly just continue napping. However, he likes to go up to her and say hi and swat at her. There's no claws out and it's more of a "what the heck is this thing" swat. 90% of the time, Flower is sleeping so when he does this she'll hiss and sometimes growl, which I'm fine with since she is smaller than he is, I'm glad she stands up for herself. With him though, he'll back off for a few minutes and then take another swat, which results in her hissing again (repetition is key, right?). Well, after this cycle happens about five times or so, Del realizes that she's not actually going to attack him so he gets more persistent. He continues the swatting and the other night when I tried to let him figure it out, he actually jumped on top of her (still playfully, as far as I can tell), so she hissed some more and ran under my dresser and, had I not intervened, he was going to chase her. I've decided to back up and take the Jackson Galaxy approach to introducing them, however I work full time, different hours everyday, so it's hard to be consistent with feeding them separated together, if that makes sense. My stepdad can feed Del but as of now he's not too fond of Flower because she "bit him" (she only has one tooth), so he leaves the feeding to me. I'm not sure how else I should go about introducing the two, I've never had to introduce cats before and I'm at a loss.

The second problem isn't REALLY a problem but more of a guilt thing. Like I said, I work full time and often overtime, so there's between 40-45 hours a week that I'm not home. While I'm sure Flower is perfectly content sleeping all day, she absolutely loves when I'm there with her. When I try to leave my room in the mornings for breakfast she stares at me with her huge eyes and just this morning she's started pawing at my door if I'm gone for too long. The vet said that while her heart murmur could be caused by hyperthyroidism, it could also be caused by HCM, which could lead to chronic heart failure in the long run. When I get the results of her bloodwork, I'll be scheduling an echocardiogram to see what kind of condition her heart is in. All in all, she might not have a whole lot of time left and I feel bad leaving her alone if she's not going to be here long. Even if she doesn't have HCM, I feel so bad leaving her to go to work all day and then coming home just to split the rest of the time between her and the spoiled one crying outside my bedroom door. I don't have any concerns about putting out money to take care of her health problems, but I feel like I can't give her the amount of affection that she wants/needs. She's clearly very comfortable with me (she was licking my arm while I was trying to sleep last night) and I really would love to give her a forever home but I just can't help feeling the there's a better home for her out there.

Anyway, those are my struggles. Sorry for it dragging on a bit. My family doesn't know the first thing about cats and just keep saying to me "oh whatever you think," whereas my best friend just said "with the age difference, yeah it was probably a bad idea". Any help or support is appreciated :)

tl;dr: I'm struggling on introducing my young resident cat to a newly adopted senior cat and will gladly take suggestions. Also feeling some adoption regret, as I feel my senior cat may be happier in a home where she can get attention all day, as well as maybe being the only cat.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck with your cats. Take it slow, but maybe not too slow, and remember there will be some spats occasionally. even my 4 who love each other and have been together over 2 years will occasionally irritate each other..lol As long as no blood or fur flying, or one doesn't seem to be picked on and is hiding or afraid ,let them work it out. Cats normally always do.

Also make sure everyone has access to their own food, and water, they don't like to share, and their own potty box, some don't like to share that either. Try to give each of them some individual cuddle time and play time, as well as some together time :)

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you put a gate on the door? That way they can play without hurting each other and eat on opposite sides of the gate. Another thing I did was put one cat in the carrier and then let the other cat in the room and they play through the bars.

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Everyone has offered excellent advice about introductions. There are all kinds of threads here that offer good advice as well.
I just wanted to comment about the guilt you said you are feeling about leaving her alone. Please DON'T beat yourself up about it. It is all about the quality not the quantity. You are obviously a very caring, loving person and she is getting love and attention from you. She is 13 years old and has a health issue. There are not very many people out there that would be willing to take her. She very likely would have languished at a shelter all her days if not for you. You have done a wonderful thing by giving her a home.
It just takes patience to get through that "introduction phase". After that you will be able to spend even more time with her.
She is a very lucky girl to have you in her life.
I hope that her tests come back with the best possible news and that you all have many happy years together.:):catrub:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kabella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for such wonderful advice! Introductions are still going slow, but I'm feeling less stressed about it. Unfortunately I don't have a gate, I tried using the screen door from my balcony but it was too big for the doorway and Del managed to squeeze in. I have them eating either about a foot away with the door cracked, or a few feet away in my room together. Flower could care less but Del can barely even focus on eating, he's got the attention span of a fish. Flower is opening up a lot, she's started to run around when she plays (at 3 in the morning of course), rather than laying there swatting at the toys. Her bloodwork came back good and her echocardiogram is scheduled for the 23rd. Once again, thank you all for the advice! Especially about the guilt, that was the main thing I was struggling with. I felt horrible even thinking about regretting the adoption. I will let you all know how the results of her echocardiogram go! :)