Adopting out a foster cat has me down

Garbeaux

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My partner wanted to foster a cat and I reluctantly obliged them. We ended up with a cat that had a lot of personality and while I didn't really participate in the whole fostering deal, I find myself pretty sad now they are adopted and I'm not really sure how to shake it off. I walked past the bathroom our foster normally stayed (we wanted to keep them separate from our cats because they had some cold they were passing around) and it just really got me sad when there was no more foster cat. I am really not a pet person, especially compared to my partner and I was excited when we finally had some lined up to adopt our cat, so this is pretty unexpected. For people who have gone through something similar, what helped move past being bummed out? Thanks in advance!

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Uh... fostering more cats 🤣

Just know that you did the right thing for that cat, and it has finally found a home it deserves thanks to you. You may not have been its forever home but you helped make a forever home possible. And even though they no longer need your help, there are plenty more out there that do.

Shower your current cats with affection and be grateful for being given the chance to touch such a beautiful soul.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As the above said, you did a great thing in helping a kitty in need!

Here is a link that provides some assistance with coping:
Tips for Letting Go When Your Foster Cat Is Adopted - Petfinder

I particularly like the part where it says "Remember that letting go of this one enables you to save another life."

Take it as an opportunity as well that you learned something about yourself - That you are in fact very much a "pet person" and that is a wonderful thing! That you are kind, loving and patient. (And there are many types of a pet people out there - one just doesn't fit into one category)

Anyhoo, let yourself go through the mourning and adapting process, it's normal. At the same time, remind yourself of the good deed that occurred thanks to your partner. Give your current kitties some extra love as well.