Adopting Ferals

Ravensong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I lost both of my girls this year, and friends have been sending me pictures of all sorts of kitties needing homes. I'd been looking online and have found a couple I might be interested in, but haven't made up my mind yet and probably can't get them for another month or so anyway.

Someone I know who has 3 cats and has a relationship with a local rescue contacted me today about two feral cats that he plans to put up for adoption. Only one has been caught so far and he sent me video and photos. The other, who is either a sibling or just a close friend ;) has not yet been captured (and is a bit more skittish).

He is planning to take both to the vet and have them spayed and checked. They are gorgeous, but I've not had any personal experience with ferals. I am not worried about the time it will take to get them acclimated - I am very patient and have a diploma in feline behavior - but I just don't know what to expect if I take them in, as I haven't worked with ferals.

I'd love to hear your thoughts, advice, and any resources you may I have that are good to explore.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Some of this depends on what level of feral these cats are. I have found that the term can range from any stray, which usually means abandoned pet or people friendly cat with no home, to the true community cat who has no desire for a relationship with people. It would be helpful if you could be given a little more information and if you could see the cats for yourself. Probably that would help you to immediately make up your mind if this is right for you especially since you are experienced in feline behavior.

If these cats are merely strays, the adjustment period won't be that long. If they are ferals who are inclined to cross over and befriend people, it will also be quicker and easier. Unfortunately, almost any combination is possible and you won't know which you are going to have until you meet them.

Assuming that they are really feral and you still want to go ahead with this....which I have done....they will need a safe, secure, and completely furnished place for themselves in the house. You can visit with non threatening behaviors ( no patting, trying to pick up, etc) and sit with them so that they get used to your presence. This could go on for a long time and you have to be in it for the long haul.

I have found that the outcome for the true feral has ranged from turning into a complete house pet to never really bonding with anyone.

Ask yourself what you want in a cat as well. If these cats are not inclined to sleep on the bed every night and only see you as a caretaker, you will be disappointed if that is what you wanted. If that would be okay with you, then proceed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ravensong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, fionasmom fionasmom . I definitely would see them and see how they are. I have video of one, who is friendly with my friend, allowing him to pet her, and even some snuggling. The other, he said, is more skittish, but he is working with her. I'll certainly consider everything before adopting!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
If the cat is allowing petting and snuggling she is either beginning to abandon her feral beginnings or is not really feral and would probably be a good candidate for adoption if you decide that you like her. The friend cat might follow suit if adopted with the other one.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My wife and I have adopted 6 ferals, ranging in age from 9 to 5 years old. They were kittens brought to us by their mother, who was completely feral. Over a period of months, we were able to earn their trust, to the point that we just held the door open and they walked in- with the exception of the mother, who was unapproachable.
It has been a mixed bag, with some of them being total cuddle cats- one of them is on my lap at the moment- while others want attention, but only on their terms. There is no guarantee how things will turn out, as it depends on the temperament of the individual cat.
If you do decide to adopt, I can speak from experience that patience is absolutely a virtue, but that patience can be amply rewarded in the end. I know for a fact that we wouldn't trade ours for anyone or anything, and we would do it again in a heartbeat.