Adopting a TNR cat?

Mdfrazi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all. My partner and I are getting ready to move to a new apartment and we are considering adopting two of the community cats. I am reaching out for advice on this process?

To provide some backstory, we moved here 3 months ago and began putting out food for the cats shortly after. Most of them will walk up to our porch but run away if we come near. However, there is a bonded pair that has been friendly to us since the beginning. They wait by our door every morning and night and always want affection. We suspect one of them may have lived inside at one point because she is super comfortable coming inside and roaming around. The other one is much more skittish and will come in to be pet/eat but runs out right after.

We had planned to work on acclimating them gradually until our lease was up in Nov. Unfortunately there is a structural issue with our unit and we have to move ASAP. We can’t imagine life without these cats and we want to provide them with long healthy lives, BUT we don’t know if taking them would actually be in their best interests? Does anyone have experience with bringing in semi-socialized TNR community cat?? Can it be done or should they stay outside?

Attached are some pictures of the cats right outside/inside the unit (we are also planning on asking their community caretaker, just figured I’d look for advice on here as well)

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Such cuties!! If it were me, I'd go for it. They have built a bit of a relationship with you and seem to enjoy spending at least a little bit of time in your current home. The 'braver' cat will help the 'shyer' cat adapt too!! I would only do this if you plan on making them indoor only kitties, which is really in their best interest in the long haul. Even if you don't plan on that, moving a cat to a different location, even if only down the street, usually requires keeping them indoors for weeks/months during their adaptation time.

Your biggest first issue will be with the actual move. Normally, it is advised that you move the cats last after moving everything else into a new place. However, I am not sure how disruptive that would be. So, you might have to reverse the process and set up a safe room inside your new place, and take them there, and then move the rest of your stuff into the new home. The biggest downside to this will be the noise they have to endure at the same time as being newly confined. In their new room, water/food, litterboxes and any other items they have familiarity with would be helpful. Perhaps some towels or blankets that have their scent on them as well. Pre-plan some hiding spots in the room as well, and if you can help it don't place a bed in there unless it can be put directly on the ground to prevent them from hiding underneath the bed. If they aren't used to a litterbox, you could also try to set up a large cardboard box lid with soil/leaves - whatever they are used to - to start off with. Although, from my (admittedly, limited) experience most cats will take to a litterbox fairly easily.

Then, you will have to go about the process of acclimating them to the new room and to their newly acquired indoor lifestyle. Here are some articles that might help.
The Five Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside – TheCatSite Articles
9 Tips That Will Help Your Kitten Adapt To A New Apartment – TheCatSite Articles
How To Move With Your Cat To A New Home In A Safe Way – TheCatSite Articles

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have only ever rescued and made pets out of strays and ferals. From your pic, these two are bonded and very well on the way to being socialized. They are probably dependent on you for their care as well as sustenance. After the initial move, which does have to be thought out, they are definitely going to be housepets.

Only one cat did not take to the litter box, and this is from years of cat ownership. She had not ever used soil outside to relieve herself, but used an alley driveway. She was more than happy to use a litter box as long as it did not have litter in it but was fine with a dog pee pad. She has now transitioned to pooping in the litter box, but still pees in the dog pad box; however she is very faithful to that location and certainly has not made messes in the house.

I moved the last time with 5 dogs and 7 cats. One cat was semi feral and the hardest to get into a carrier, so we moved her the night before and put her in a safe room. All the other cats were put in carriers early that morning and stayed in them until the move was complete and then brought to the new house. The dogs were all in the garage and were brought at the end as well. Reversing it is fine if you have a safe room for the cats. Depending on how you are moving, make it clear that if they are in a safe room that the door is not to be opened under any circumstances...signs, special lock, etc.