Adopting A New Stray Kitty - Have A Few Questions

tissa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our Copper cat was hit by a car and died several weeks ago (he was with us since September 2015) 20150910_204902.jpg

Few days after the death of Cooper a new kitty showed up on our porch. We feed a feral kitty every day since 2015, but this was a different kitty that we have never seen before. The new kitty showed up few more times and disappeared for a few days. Then one very cold night i saw her again (its a girl kitty). She came to search for food and while she was eating i had noticed she was shaking very badly. She had no weight in her but bones and skin, so i put her in our garage and long story short we decided to keep her. It has been over a week now since she has been in our garage. We took her to the vet, she has no parasites, no leukemia, and no kitty AIDS. She does have some issues with her kidneys (some enzyme level is off). When we got her she was drinking excessive amounts of water and peeing a lot. In fact, she even peed in the kennel on the way from the vet. The vet gave her an antibiotic shot that will last 2 weeks and asked us to bring her back in 30 days for more tests. That was this past Saturday but I had already noticed she is drinking a lot less and peeing less. So hopefully it is just an infection and not kidney failure (the vet said she seems too young to have a kidney failure, but you never know).

We have another cat at home and if at first they were separated to make sure our cat doesnt potentially get anything form this new kitty, now we would like to integrate the new kitty into the home. But she has gotten so used to the garage and she knows our other cat is in the house (he is a neutered male) and they hiss and growl at each other when they see each other...well she seems to want to stay in the garage. She gets nervous in the house. She will walk around and lay around if we remove our other cat, but she will run right back to the garage as soon as the door opens.
How can we hep her not be scared? We have a kitty door there, but we have been keeping it closed because for one she doesnt understand how to use it, for two we dont want the cats fighting in the garage...I think it has been plenty of time for them to get used to each other's smell (the litter boxes have been in the garage long before hte new kitty got there, so there is a lot of smell of our other cat there and he has smelled our hands after we pet the girl kitty and he had smelled the kennel and he knows she is in the garage and has seen here there and sniffed around). Should I get over my fear of them fighting and just let them hiss and growl at each other until they get used to each other? How can I help them get used to each other and how can I help her not be scared of being inside the house?

Also although she is short hair kitty, her fur is very dense and she has pretty bad hair balls that she wont let us brush (many of them seem like only scissors will do). They are pretty bad. Our vet doesn't groom. I am also pretty sure she will need to be sedated to groom because she hates it and wants to get out badly even though we try very hard not to hurt her. Where can I get it done? She is a tiny thing. Only weights 5 pounds (and that is after eating for a week in our garage). Also is there any way to find out if she was spayed before? I dont know if it is easy to do with girl kitties. I have a feeling she used to be someone's kitty because she is not at all scared of people and likes to purr and be affectionate.
Any advise is appreciated!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

tissa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Anyone? 23 people read the post but 0 responses? Please :)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Awww... thank you for taking in this poor little kitty. It sounds like she was out on her own for a while. Glad she doesn't have any serious diseases, and hopefully the kidney issues will clear up quickly.

I only have one cat, so no experience in cat introductions, but I think the new female will likely become the "queen bee" over your neutered male, once the initial hissing fits end.

I do think getting her out of the garage and into just one room in your house would be a good start, if that is doable. Other than that, here's an article on the site on cat introductions which may have some helpful advice:
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide

I think a vet can shave the belly fur to see a spay scar, but not sure. Maybe call your vet and ask them. Of course you could just wait a few weeks and if she's not spayed, she'll likely go into heat. Hopefully she's not already pregnant.

Condolences, btw, on your sweet Cooper. RIP sweet baby. :angel:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tissa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
[QUOTE="
Condolences, btw, on your sweet Cooper. RIP sweet baby. :angel:[/QUOTE]
Thank you. He was a one-of-a-kind unique cat. They all are, but he was a dog in a cat body. Extremely smart. He followed us on walks and runs without a leash (we never taught him that). The whole neighborhood knew him, fed him, loved him, and adored how smart he was. But one night we was out and decided to cross a busy street he never ever attempted to cross since 2015 and...he was gone. I always wished he was indoors only for this very reason. But we requested him from the street and he was so used to being outside, he threw fits and broke things inside the house rebelling against being trapped at home. He wanted his freedom to go outside when he wanted and to come back inside when he felt like it. I really hope our new kitty will not have this problem and will be okay being inside only.

I forgot to ask our vet about the scar. Not sure if htey can shaver her belly (they would have to sedate her lol) to just look plus i know they dont do grooming...But next time we go i will ask anyways. I dont know if cats who are extremely skinny would go into heat. Anyways, thank you! May be someone with multiple cats can answer.

When we introduced Cooper to our kitten (who was in the house first), Cooper was an adult and Texas was a tiny kitten, so Cooper became his "mommy" and we did not have any problems. The kitten just tried to look and act all tough. But now it is 2 adult cats and different genders

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is there a way to bring her inside to have a room of her own away from your other cat? Cats can take a long time to get used to each other. There is a slow introduction process that is recommended. The slower you go the better. It is never a good idea to just allow them to work it out. Fur is sure to fly and someone will get hurt.

I also would be sure that she is spayed. It might be easier to do introductions once she is spayed or you are certain she already has been. Hormones can really wreck havoc on introductions.

Here is a really great video that is helpful for introductions.