Adopting a feral cat + kittens

NomadAndTheCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i’m a digital / film nomad. I travel a lot and i’m a cat guy. I’ve directed cat commercials and I’m the go to cat sitter for all of my friends but because I travel a decent amount I never planned on having a cat. Well i’ve been in Turkey (the land of cats) for over a year and one charming female managed to move in and hang out with me. A friend of mine suggested she was pregnant and I’m glad she did. Gave me time to set up a birthing nest just in case. She didn’t seem to notice the box much and then voila about 3 weeks into our friendship she was in the box with 3 beautiful new critters.

My rental here ends in 6 weeks and I was not going to put them back outside but as luck would have it I found a great place in the mountains (I’m in Kas down south) where a mother and kittens are welcomed. I’ve contacted a vet to give her flea treatments and will have her come up to make sure everything is ok though they seem very happy and she is most definitely well fed with quality cat food.

Now - I have some questions maybe you can help me with. Firstly she does occasionally climb out of the nest and come over to me for 10 minutes or so and has me rub her belly. She will also pull my hand in to rub her sometimes when the kittens are milking - and while she clearly trusts me, I don’t touch the kittens. And she does do 2 10-15 minute outdoor patrols of her hood. I know people say don’t let them out post pregnancy but she’s lived outdoors her whole life and that’s where she will slip off to do her business and such. But yes i’d want to avoid her getting pregnant again and plan to have her spayed as soon as is possible.

The box she is in is about the biggest one I could find but I am wondering: when is it too small for a family of 4? She makes it look cozy but 8 days in they are starting to get quite big.It’s set on top of a plastic storage container so once the little rascals start to explore I think it will be too high up. So once they are 3-4 weeks old can one move them out of the box onto a closet floor for instance, obviously it would be covered in soft warm bedding and maybe a hot water bottle too?

As for the future I plan to be in the area until October and if I need to dart off to Europe the new home i’m taking is part of an 8 home little area in which everyone has and loves pets so I am not worried about finding minders. i’ll plan to have the kittens adopted after the first 3 months have passed though I know i’m going to be in love…as for the mother - we have a definite bond and i’m not sure what the future will hold. i’m not going to abandon her back to the street - though at least in Turkey all cats are fed and looked after.

But any advice for me will be most welcome.

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would go ahead and put the box on the floor — just in case, and yes, you can make a nest in a closet.

It’s okay for mom to take breaks to eat, potty, stretch, etc.

You’ll want to get mom spayed just before you move, and keep her inside at the new place for a few weeks until she realizes where she is. People lose cats by moving and letting them outside too soon. The cats or kittens do not know where they are and get lost.

Get the kittens spayed and neutered before re-homing them.