Adopting A Declawed Cat If Planning To Get A Dog Later?

Monty_Bentley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We are planning to adopt a cat from a shelter. I definitely would not declaw a cat, but there are plenty in the shelters that are already declawed. Since this would be an indoor (apartment) cat, we think one that came declawed would be preferable for the usual reasons. However, we are probably moving to a bigger place in about a year and it will be more feasible to get a dog then too. My question is is it a mistake to get a declawed cat now if it eventually will have to live with a dog?
We would try hard to get a dog that is OK with cats, and not enormous, but it would be bigger than the cat. A cat has much weaker defenses without the front claws. On the other hand if the cat needs to use its front claws on the dog isn't the situation already hopeless?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why do you feel that a declawed cat would do better in an apartment?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Monty_Bentley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A declawed cat would do much better indoors! True of all cats longevity-wise, but even more true for such a cat. Not about apartments specifically, but that's where we live. So the cat is not going to get out. It's better because it won't scratch everything, but that's not about apartments or houses. Anyway, as I said, I wouldn't take a cat and declaw it for that reason, but many already are that way, and the issue is whether adopting one is a good idea if it will eventually have to live with a dog once we both move to a bigger place and have time to get one.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do bear in mind that the majority of declawed cats who are in shelters have been surrendered because of behavioural issues resulting from the declawing. A declawed cat is much more likely to have litterbox issues because their paws hurt (even years after the surgery), and stepping onto litter intensifies that pain. Declawed cats are far more likely to bite too, as they've lost their primary means of defence. They're also more likely to develop arthritis too, because removing the claws throws their whole balance. Remember that cats walk on their toes, and declawing is the amputation of the first joint of each toe - NOT the equivalent of removing their nails alone (which, let's face It, would be painful enough :cringe:). These articles explain more about possible long term effects of the procedure:-
Declawing - More Than Just A Manicure
Declawing - Post-surgery Care And Complications

I'm not saying you shouldn't adopt a declawed cat - there are many in need of loving homes, and may struggle to find a forever home as a result of the long term effects the surgery causes. I'm just saying that it's most definitely NOT an easier option. If you're considering a dog in the future, a cat with claws would certainly feel less vulnerable, and might adjust more easily. It's actually pretty easy to train cats not to scratch carpets and furniture, so long as you have plenty of appropriate places for them to scratch (cat trees, scratching posts/boards, cardboard scratchers etc). Keeping claws clipped drastically reduces the amount of damage they can do, too, without causing and health or behavioural problems.
How To Best Take Care Of Cat Claws
How To Stop Your Cat From Scratching The Furniture

All I'm saying is think it through, and go into it with your eyes open ;) If you're considering a dog in the future, your best bet is to look for a confident, laid back kitty (and maybe even one who's lived with dogs before), as they'd likely do better with a dog coming in down the line.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Declawing is the removal of each digit at the first joint. Cats are what we call digitigrade (humans are plantigrade), meaning that cats walk on their toes. When a cat's toes are removed, their weight gets shifted back to their wrists causing early onset osteoarthritis. If you adopt a declawed cat, please be aware that this is a medical issue that you'll have to deal with.

Declawed cats are have trouble walking, as well as digging through litter, which is why it's common for declawed cats to start inappropriate elimination. The number one reason why cats are relinquished to shelters is inappropriate elimination. So, if you encounter a declawed cat there, note that this is probably the reason why they ended up in the shelter. In San Francisco and Beverly Hills, after declawing was banned, the rate of cats being surrendered to shelters went down. Declawed cats, since they can't use their claws to get a message across if they're aggravated, are likely to bite. If you don't mind looking at graphic images, a quick google image search "cat bite" will show you how easily these get infected.

Cats are incredibly easy to train to use a Scratching post (my Charlie will even scratch his post on command!), and scratching is good exercise for them (it strengthens their legs). There are different kinds of scratching posts available (vertical, incline, horizontal, with different surfaces- cardboard or sisal rope), so with a cat with claws, there are certainly a lot of options to find a post that your cat loves.

My point is, not that you shouldn't adopt a declawed cat (they do need homes), and I thank you for not actually declawing a cat, I just want you to be aware of some of the medical/behavioral issues that you might face. Declawed cats are not simply an "easy care" version of a cat. On the contrary, they require more patience (due to the inappropriate elimination and biting issues). To learn more about declawing and its effects on cats, please read through this entire article: http://www.littlebigcat.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/ADH2017.pdf.

I'd also reccommend watching The Paw Project. Here's a trailer for it:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A declawed cat would do much better indoors! True of all cats longevity-wise, but even more true for such a cat. Not about apartments specifically, but that's where we live. So the cat is not going to get out. It's better because it won't scratch everything, but that's not about apartments or houses. Anyway, as I said, I wouldn't take a cat and declaw it for that reason, but many already are that way, and the issue is whether adopting one is a good idea if it will eventually have to live with a dog once we both move to a bigger place and have time to get one.
You are correct that a declawed cat should never be allowed outdoors. Please do consider the other points above and find the cat who will be the best fit for you, your household, and a future dog. You will also need to pick a dog who is good with cats.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I would just look for a cat that is good with dogs regardless of whether its declawed or clawed. Though I must say that I had two cats that were both declawed, and they were the best cats I ever had. Never had problems with them biting or using the litter box. Though I think those two were special and I will never find cats like those two ever again.

Not saying that's not true about declawing, but just trying to say that not every cat that gets declawed will definitely have all those problems. Every cat is an individual .