Adopted two sick kittens and I’m overwhelmed

Erikab

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’ve posted a bit about our journey so far with these kittens. But I adopted two 8 week old kittens about 3 weeks ago. They just turned 11 weeks yesterday! I had been wanting kittens for so long and was so happy when I found these two at the shelter. So I adopted them and was told that they had been dewormed and were negative for ringworm since one of their litter mates had it in their foster home. Two days after we got them they had their neuter/spay appointment because the shelter makes you do that in order to complete the adoption. And trying to give the girl her medicine was a mess and her insicion got infected and I had to put her in sweaters and that was a nightmare. And she hated me us. And then she had a parasite that we’ve had to treat and now our boy kitty has ringworm that’s spreading and I’m trying to treat it but I’ve never dealt with any of this and the vet and shelter have been not super great to talk to like no one is helping me and I’m so so so overwhelmed. I know this sounds so mean but I was so excited to have kittens and I just wish they were healthy because all of their time being kittens is being ruined with them having illnesses. And I can’t even cuddle with the boy because of the ringworm and he LOVES to cuddle and he’s starting to be less friendly because he’s angry at me because of the baths I have to give him. I’m so incredibly overwhelmed. I know none of this is life threatening or anything and I’m happy to be able to take care of these two babies because who knows where they would be if not with me. I just need some encouragement. Thank you so much.

downton ali

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Erika, You are doing great!! From what I hear ringworm is one of the toughest things to deal with. I don’t have advice unfortunately, however hang in there. It will get better, and I hope that others that have direct experience will chime in soon. In the meanwhile, try the Kitten Lady (Hannah Shaw) as she addresses ringworm on her website and in a youtube videos. Do something kind for yourself 💛

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hang in there! I know how rough it is to face one crisis after another, but you are slowly making headway! Ringworm is a BEAR, but here are some articles on dealing with it:

And this one, not one of ours, but pretty comprehensive:

And know, down to the bottom of your heart, that once the treatments are over, you WILL be forgiven! You are, after all, also the Bringer of All Things Good.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’ve posted a bit about our journey so far with these kittens. But I adopted two 8 week old kittens about 3 weeks ago. They just turned 11 weeks yesterday! I had been wanting kittens for so long and was so happy when I found these two at the shelter. So I adopted them and was told that they had been dewormed and were negative for ringworm since one of their litter mates had it in their foster home. Two days after we got them they had their neuter/spay appointment because the shelter makes you do that in order to complete the adoption. And trying to give the girl her medicine was a mess and her insicion got infected and I had to put her in sweaters and that was a nightmare. And she hated me us. And then she had a parasite that we’ve had to treat and now our boy kitty has ringworm that’s spreading and I’m trying to treat it but I’ve never dealt with any of this and the vet and shelter have been not super great to talk to like no one is helping me and I’m so so so overwhelmed. I know this sounds so mean but I was so excited to have kittens and I just wish they were healthy because all of their time being kittens is being ruined with them having illnesses. And I can’t even cuddle with the boy because of the ringworm and he LOVES to cuddle and he’s starting to be less friendly because he’s angry at me because of the baths I have to give him. I’m so incredibly overwhelmed. I know none of this is life threatening or anything and I’m happy to be able to take care of these two babies because who knows where they would be if not with me. I just need some encouragement. Thank you so much.
I'm sorry that you're going through this nightmare, but please know that you are alone. Most of us have gone through the same process with very young kittens and many of us have thought that their kittenhood has been ruined by the amount of care, medicines, treatments, visits they had to receive. It's all normal, especially when you get a kitten from a shelter, where kittens come from difficult situations.

The ringworm the boy has might have been dormant before you got them. In my humble opinion, the stress they received from changing their home from the shelter to your home and the fixing surgery two days later (way to early in my opinion!), triggered the spreading of the ringworm.

I know how stressful this situation is, my two kittens had the same thing a few days after I brought them home (one year apart) and it took quite a long time to get rid of it.
You need to talk to a vet about this. Different countries have different rules. Where I live, ringworm meds require a vet prescription at the pharmacy. It is possible you will have to treat both kittens at the same time in order to avoid that it keeps spreading from one kitten to the other. You should also keep their beddings clean, replace them frequently, follow the vet instructions.
And let us know how things go.

Don't worry, your kittens will forgive you ;)

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can he wear a sweater too so you can cuddle with him maybe? I also think that was too early for s/n. If ten shelter wanted it done so early it should be managed by them. And I am surprised the dvm would do a neuter on a kitten that has ringworm.