Adopted Stray Cat Sprays When She Wants To Go Out

Abby6996

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
a stray kitten wandered on to our back porch a few months ago and meowed outside until we would go pet her or feed her. Eventually we took her in (after posting pictures of her looking for an owner), and she seemed to assimilate fairly well with our two other cats. We took her to the vet to get her spayed, and it turns out she already is. Ever since we got her she has yowled at the door wanting out of the house, but she also loves being cuddled and cared for inside. We don’t want her to be an outdoor cat because we have two other indoor cats we don’t want to be exposed to fleas. Recently she has been spraying the walls and furniture near the doors of the house, and has even started peeing right outside the litter box. We are thinking this is sort of an “F you, I wanna go outside” response, but we aren’t sure how to handle it. Has anyone dealt with an adopted stray who’s dying to go outside and sprays the house? We’re at the end of our rope considering finding her another home.

I forgot to mention we also bought “cat attract” litter to see if it would help her use the litter box, and although it did help a problem we had with random poop around the house, it doesn’t seem to have helped with the peeing outside the little box and spraying.

Last edited by a moderator:

saladflambe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Has she been tested for a UTI? I'd start there :\ I'm sorry - this sounds super frustrating. You'll also need to get a good microbial cleaner like Nature's Miracle and clean clean clean every surface she's peed on.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise