Adopted Stray - Adjustment Period

Piratenation

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey all,

Long time reader but new member/poster of this website,

I recently adopted a 2 year old (approx) Burmese female cat from the RSPCA (Australian animal welfare group). She is absolutely beautiful but I have some questions for those of you who have adopted older cats before. I have always had cats but usually adopt kittens so her adjustment behaviour has me confused/concerned, perhaps for no reason.

Her first night home she was very excitable and was super affectionate and very vocal. The next day she withdrew and since then has either been asleep or sitting by herself quietly. I understand some adjustment is expected however after three days she is still very subdued despite eating heartily, using her litter tray frequently and purring when patted or nursed. She will sit happily on laps and sleeps beside us on the couch (only if we put her there) otherwise she is happy to sit alone quietly and sleep.

I understand this is to be expected but the first night of affection and 'uber-excitement' has me worried that there is something wrong. I apologise for the extensive post but would appreciate any input anyone can offer...

PN

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Her behavior sounds perfectly normal to me, that is, she appears to be relaxing very quickly in her new environment. A lot of cats need weeks to settle down. Shelters are noisy and full of unfamiliar smells, so stressful for most of the animals there. Now that she feels safe she can let down her guard.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Piratenation

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thats great news! Thanks for the quick reply also. As I said, her first night of enthusiasm and then her slump concerned me but I guess she was excited to be out of prison.

Thanks again....

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: Congrats on the adoption of your new cat. :catlove:

Maybe you can "formally" introduce her, and yourself, in our New Cats on the Block forum. :compsurfing:

It sounds like your girl is doing fine. Eating, using the litter box, and purring, are all good. Since she's 2 years old, she'll be more reserved and "ladylike" than a young playful kitten. :hearthrob:

Different cats have different reactions to their new homes. Here's a recent thread with many different responses to What Was Your Cat's Behavior Like In The First Day?

And a few more articles:
How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home
10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat
16 Top Cat Experts Share Tips For Dealing With Timid Cats
7 Proven Ways To Get Your Cat To Be More Active
14 Cat Experts Reveal: How To Get A Cat To Like Me
25 Signs That Your Cat Loves You

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Piratenation

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Rubysmama,

Thanks for the welcome. She is still very subdued and has now developed a bad case of the sneezes. The RSPCA said she was one of the few cats they had without Cat Flu but it seems she may indeed have a dose. She is sneezing a lot and breathing through her mouth (I think thats what she's is doing at least) so I intend to take her to the Vet tomorrow and see what they think.

She is still eating and drinking and using her litter box but is definitely under the weather.

I will head over to 'New cats on the Block' and make the introductions in the near future...

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:catlove:Congrats on your new furbaby/friend/bossy roommate ;) Can we please see pics? :catman:

The only thing I can add to that is you may be accidentally be over petting her. Have you tried letting her sniff your finger then gently scratching her head where she moves for you to scratch? Also my punk is a total lap cat but hates being held/limited petting. However he insists on multiple daily lap snuggling time. So if she gets on your lap try to give her a half hour with or without petting (up to her.) Once she feels better play might be a great way to bond.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Funny story... The first time I went to the SPCA, in one of the cages, there was this little orange cat who was hacking and sneezing. I was actually interested in getting an orange cat, but decided not to even bother going near that one.

There was another orange cat available, who I picked up and snuggled, but I wasn't ready to adopt that particular day, and when I went back the next time, he was gone.

I ended up with an orange cat, my Ruby girl in my profile pic. She came home with drops to go in her eyes due to having a kitty cold.

A day or so later, as I was putting the drops in her eyes, I realized that SHE was the little cat that had been hacking and sneezing that first day! I now say, she was putting on that "show " to keep other prospective adopters away, so she'd be there for me when I was ready to adopt. :hearthrob:

:hijack:
Sorry for hijacking your thread. ;)

BTW, Ruby has never had any cold symptoms since, so hopefully once your girl gets some medication, that'll be the last time she has a kitty cold.