Adopted Stray- 3.3 Lbs @ 5 Months!

squigglewizard

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello fellow feline-friends,

I recently adopted a stray kitten after feeding him, his litter mate (female), and parents for a couple months. His parents and litter mates stopped showing up two weeks ago, and he remained in my back yard, instead of the usual behavior of only showing up morning and night for feeding.

I had been planning to catch and release all of them once the mobile spay/neuter was in town at the end of this month, and will still do so if I'm able. As yet there is still no sign of litter mate or parents.

After much less deliberation than I had expected my husband and I agreed to take him in. I was able to slowly introduce a chin scratch, then a pet on the head, and eventually worked up to holding the little guy over the course of a week. He and my 14 year old male Bengal had been affectionate through the window pane throughout these months.

I took him to the vet last week for FeLV and FIV testing (negative) and de-worming (hookworms). To my surprise the vet told us the kitten was 5 months old! He's growing in his permanent canines, marking his age around there. From his size I thought he could be no more than 3 months. He's only 3.3 lbs!

He finished his medication for worms last friday. I've been feeding him grain free high animal protein foods, and freshpet select cat chicken and beef pate.

TL;DR My adopted stray kitten, Pan, is 5 months old and only 3.3 lbs. FeLV & FIV negative, dewormed. What can I do to help this little guy gain weight and grow healthily?

IMG_20190903_211820.jpg

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think now that you have him inside and eating regularly, as well as having been dewormed he is on the right track to gaining some weight. The vet could also be slightly off, no one can be 100% certain, although with adult teeth coming in he is probably correct. I think he just needs time. It is kitten food you are feeding him right?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
He is adorable and has those big Tim Burton eyes like my Chelsea. I agree that he probably was not having the best time outside and needs TLC and good food to thrive. Fiona herself was so thin as a rescued kitten that I took her back to the vet repeatedly to see why she was not filling out. Eventually she did and lived for 16 years.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

squigglewizard

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think now that you have him inside and eating regularly, as well as having been dewormed he is on the right track to gaining some weight. The vet could also be slightly off, no one can be 100% certain, although with adult teeth coming in he is probably correct. I think he just needs time. It is kitten food you are feeding him right?
I think so too, I am probably being impatient. I have been giving him dry kitten food and supplementing with a high quality pate.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

squigglewizard

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He is adorable and has those big Tim Burton eyes like my Chelsea. I agree that he probably was not having the best time outside and needs TLC and good food to thrive. Fiona herself was so thin as a rescued kitten that I took her back to the vet repeatedly to see why she was not filling out. Eventually she did and lived for 16 years.
Thank you for reassuring me, I love him so much! She was adorable.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Lucky boy that you took him in! :lovecat2:

He will gain weight, but it will take time while he is still growing. Give him as much wet food as he wants several times a day, and always leave dry food for him 24/7.

Please take his sister in if she shows up again. Poor gal will be pregnant soon herself. It’s a tough life on the streets.

squigglewizard squigglewizard