Adopted New Cat With Ckd - Wondering If I Bit Off Too Much. :(

dirtyhippiegirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone! Not sure if I am posting this in the right spot. Please bear with me.

We were a three cat household until my oldest cat (Emma) passed away in September. I thought I was content with two (Radar and Tiger) until I saw a FB post about an older cat with stage 2 chronic kidney disease who'd been in the shelter for 200+ days. I'd been kind of thinking about getting an older/special/medical needs cat for a few weeks, actually. I'm a RN by trade and also have experience managing end-of-life issues with Emma and feline diabetes with Radar. (He's off his insulin these days and diet-controlled!)

I did some research on caring with cats with CKD and thought I could give this a shot. So now I have a third cat again - Eleanor. She's ten with "stable" stage-2 chronic kidney disease and fairly severe, imho, arthritis probably from being declawed by her previous owners. The ladies at the shelter said she was a decent eater with her kidney diet - preferred the wet food but would also eat the dry kibble.

We are on day four at home. She won't touch the kidney diet, of course. I'm mixing the wet kidney with some Fancy Feast (not ideal - fairly high phos content) and bonito flakes and having luck finger-feeding her. But I'd be lying if I said trying to get her to eat is causing me a LOT of stress right now.

I know that ideally CKD cats do best when allowed to free-feed. I can't free-feed everyone because Radar will just eat everything. I'd hoped to slide by with offering new kitty a few small meals a day and/or gating her in our cat room or office either during the day while we are at work or maybe in our bedroom at night while we sleep to let her free-feed. But I'm starting to worry that might not be enough to sustain her, and also worrying that finger-feeding her is going to set a precedent that will be hard to break. I don't mind it right now but I can't see myself doing this for years if that's the time she has left.

Obviously we haven't made pet-pet introductions yet although everyone has seen each other in passing and done the requisite hissing. We also have a geriatric puggle that leaves our cats alone for the most part but new kitty caught a glimpse of the puggle and hid in our closet for like two hours afterwards. So now I'm also worried that once she's allowed to free roam in our house, just the presence of the dog will cause her to hide all the time.

Does anyone have any advice on how to manage this? Or recommendations for getting her to eat more? I am starting to wonder if we really aren't the right fit for this cat. I know it's still extremely early but I am good at catastrophizing things in my head. Ideally she should probably be in a single-cat house where she can roam and eat all day, with someone who is there a lot to encourage her. My husband and I work full time but are around pretty much all the time after work and on weekends -- not exactly social butterflies. But still.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
First, thank you for being willing to take this girl on! Not everyone would do so. Look, probably as much as 75% of the issues you mentioned are a function of her only being in your home for four days. Most cats, especially those in less-than-optimal health, take weeks to adjust fully to a new home, especially if there are other animals there. And she apparently isn't accustomed to dogs, but that, too, will come in time. Take a deep breath, and realize that you really are doing pretty well, all told. I doubt that the finger-feeding sets an irreversable precedent. It rarely does. Once she feels truly at home, stop. Wait. Just don't let her go too long without food. For a healthy cat, that would be no longer than three days. For your kidney gal, I'm not sure, but I imagine someone with direct experience here will spot your post soon, and can update that time frame for you.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Welcome! and yes, what Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 said ;)

Would you be interested in obtaining a microchip activated feeder? There are a couple of versions as I understand it; one that's activated by the actual information chip that's implanted in the cat I believe, and the other has a chip that's in a tag on a collar.

Realizing that you're an RN, here are a few articles in case you haven't had a chance to peruse the extensive library on this site. They are informative yet not lengthy and might have a tip or technique or other info that could be of help;

How To Get Your Cat To Start Eating Again
There are some commercial foods such as Applaws varieties that also might help - very few ingredients but they seem to be quite tasty.

Arthritis And Joint Pain In Cats
Introducing Cats To Dogs
How To Safely Introduce A Cat And A Dog
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats
How To Make Your Home Bigger (at Least For Your Cats)
The Multi-cat Household

and here's a website devoted to kidney cats
Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Everything You Need to Know to Help Your Cat

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Welcome. Thank you for adopting this cat! I usually get older cats but I try to get healthy ones. I look at the shelter website and feel bad for the ones who have been there so long. God bless you.
I would suspect she is probably very afraid. It's only the fourth day in your house. It takes time. I don't think you are setting a precedent finger feeding. Is she drinking water and using the litter box?