Adopted Feral/stray How To Protect

calliaz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I am new here, but I am hoping you might have some ideas I haven't thought of for this situation. I am a former indoor only cat owner (last cat passed away a few months ago) but currently have none in the house. In the past I have TNR'd neighborhood cats whenwe had a high number of strays, but I didn't set up a colony.

About 1.5 years ago a stray in the neighborhood adopted us. I will call her she/OC for Outside Cat, but I don't know sex. She had been around for a while, but at that point came up to us and was begging for food. She may have been abandoned. She appears to be ear tipped. She looks healthy and mostly hangs out in our yard. We feed her and I ensure she has some good shelter when it is colder here in Phoenix. She will only come within about 3 feet of me and usually spooks easily.

Yesterday, my neighbor told my husband she is planning to trap the cat (plus others) and take them to the humane society to be euthanized. She keeps chickens and left their coop open to their fenced yard and the chickens were killed overnight. She blames OC though she doesn't know what cat did it and she left the darned coop open. While the humane society says online that they charge to put down cats, they told her it would not cost because they killed her chickens. I spoke with her and let her know that while this isn't my cat and I don't believe in owning outdoor cats, I do care for this cat and I don't want her killed. I asked that if she traps the cat she would allow me to at least rehome, I would appreciate it. She seemed agreeable and I might have convinced her not to kill the cat. My crying seemed to make an impression.

I am trying to figure out options. In my perfect world they would put up barbed wire around the area where the chickens are and secure the coop and the cat stays. I am wondering if I trap the cat and microchip it as a feral if that would prevent animal control/the humane society from euthanizing if caught? A third option is rehoming. Can I even find a place for this cat if it can't be adopted? I really don't want to try to force it to be an indoor cat and I don't think my family would be up for that right now. We have a lot of things going on and I don't have the time or ability to try and turn this cat into a house cat.

Any ideas? Thank you so much in advance.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Why not bring the cat into the house and socialize the cat? It can be done. Many of us have done it or are in the process now. I recently moved. I cared for 3 feral cats on my deck. One had been with me for 7 years. I moved all of them with me to my new home and they are not adapting to inside life. Lots of us here can help you with the process.
Also, how can this neighbor be certain it is cats killing her chickens? I would ask for proof. More likely it is another wild animal and she is blaming the cats.

If it were me I would capture this cat quickly and bring it inside.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calliaz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There are a number of family reasons why I am not currently in the position to do it. I do wish I could. My husband is not supportive and we are having other issues that this would only exacerbate. We also have had some major house repair issues (sewer line in concrete) and the whole house is still being rebuilt and will be for the next two weeks. I don't have a room I can cat proof. Trying to bring her in is the last option before allowing her to be euthanized. I won't let that happen, but I also can't risk my marriage.

I do think she could be socialized. I suspect she was not always feral. When she was hungry in the beginning, she let me touch her once. I have tried to increase her comfort with me, but even after all this time she won't come within a few feet.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Could you build an enclosure for her? She could still be outside, but confined to your yard. I know they can be pricey, but maybe your DH could build one for her.

She is a beautiful cat. Are you certain it is the cats killing the chickens?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calliaz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have been trying to figure out if there is a way to keep her in the yard. I think that would be ideal. Most of the wall systems don't seem to work well (we have 6' walls) and she can climb the tree anyway. I am not sure it would be much of a life living in a 6x3 enclosure (there is a covered area on the side of the house that I could enclose. I have tried building her winter enclosures and she doesn't like to be inside them. Instead I usually cover the patio furniture and she hides under that with some blankets and I put blankets in the treehouse. It doesn't get that cold here.

There isn't a lot of wildlife around here in the center of the city. A neighborhood north does have foxes, but that is on the other side of a very large freeway. It was likely a cat, but I am not sure it was this cat. We have many feral cats that aren't neutered that an elderly man feeds about 5 houses away. There is no saying if it was this cat or any cat that killed the 4 chickens. She left the coop open because of the heat and the chickens were killed inside it overnight (she said they can't see to defend themselves in the dark). She is not the most responsible owner and the coop definitely needs work. We have coexisted for years. I know she really loved those chickens and I do feel for her. Apparently, she loved her turkey so much she overfed it and it died. She is wrong in this case because she left the coop open, in my opinion. But I also don't have any recourse even if she is wrong.

I am hoping that she might have been convinced not to trap OC. She was actually very nice and we had a long conversation. However, the best I could get agreement for was to allow me to rehome her if she is trapped.

I am not averse to spending what I need to spend to give the cat a good quality of life. I just need to find the right way to go about it within the limits that I have.

LilyRae

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your situation and before my little one, Tommy was an inside cat he was a tiny feral kitten getting into trouble! Our next door neighbour was going to get him and his Colony euthanized, until I stepped in. I told her a little white lie about working with rescue and community cats - and if she could please hold off I would sort her problem out!
:dancingblackcat:
I did eventually take the feral out of my Tommy and get a few of the members TNRd ~ though in Sydney it's hard to come by any communities to help so this was done by myself and a lovely Veterinarian.

My situation was different than yours of course and I had my partner's support and I'm sorry that you don't. So you have a garden? Could you possibly create a makeshift pen for her until you can get in touch with the right people or find the right solution, with time on your side?
I'm glad you had a nice conversation with your neighbour it may have bought her a little time... This cat is beautiful and deserves to live out her life (as they all do)

It seems to me maybe this kitty has been a stray for so long she has reverted to some feral tendencies? With patience and care she could be adopted or at the very least live out her time as a mouser/barn cat if that's what life she fancies?

I understand your marriage of course comes first. Have you tried to explain that this is short term? I truly believe all you need is a few weeks maximum to get her into the RIGHT hands. Or maybe she is so take you can adopt her our yourself?
I understand you don't have a room but do you have a garden, courtyard, heck even the side of your house could be a long yet tall cat-run for the time being??
How is the situation going? xx

LilyRae

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I misread - so you have a yard. Its very possible to purchase second hand cages which you could connect with some crafty DIY or convert an old chicken coop especially since it's short term. Online there are many places filled with this type of DIY information!

Even now, before you have her, reach out to all the no kill shelters, cat protection groups, community cat places etc ( Alley Cat Allies has a great network where you can search by area). Even groups/people hours away and tell them your situation! You will be amazed at the lengths many will go and drive to reach these vulnerable kitties.

You seem pretty smitten with her yourself, are you sure she won't be curled up on your bed in the next few months? xx

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you need to be proactive and not take this neighbor's word that she won't take OC to get euthanized if she traps her. First, you should contact the Humane Society yourself and explain that OC is your cat. Usually a vet bill proves ownership, but in many places if you regularly feed a cat, you are considered owner. It would be ideal if you rented or bought a humane trap (they cost about twenty dollars), trapped her, and took her to the vet for microchip and rabies vaccination. Then there would be no doubt that she is legally yours and the HS can't euthanize her. Second, some Humane Societies have foster programs to socialize strays, ferals, and semi-feral cats. This could also be a possibility. But YOU need to call and be proactive and advocate for OC and the other cats. Don't stand by and allow this neighbor to control the situation. Perhaps get your local police involved. Believe it or not, my local police have helped me in two situations involving feral cats and hostile or negligent neighbors. Further, you can inform this neighbor that if she takes and euthanizes your cat, you will press charges against her (as a last resort).

If she traps the cat and shows up on your doorstep with her, do you have a plan in place? It may be easier for you to deal with the inconvenience of taking her inside than the heartbreak of seeing her euthanized. Perhaps she can be an indoor/outdoor cat if your neighbor will confine her chickens properly.

LilyRae

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think you need to be proactive and not take this neighbor's word that she won't take OC to get euthanized if she traps her. First, you should contact the Humane Society yourself and explain that OC is your cat. Usually a vet bill proves ownership, but in many places if you regularly feed a cat, you are considered owner. It would be ideal if you rented or bought a humane trap (they cost about twenty dollars), trapped her, and took her to the vet for microchip and rabies vaccination. Then there would be no doubt that she is legally yours and the HS can't euthanize her. Second, some Humane Societies have foster programs to socialize strays, ferals, and semi-feral cats. This could also be a possibility. But YOU need to call and be proactive and advocate for OC and the other cats. Don't stand by and allow this neighbor to control the situation. Perhaps get your local police involved. Believe it or not, my local police have helped me in two situations involving feral cats and hostile or negligent neighbors. Further, you can inform this neighbor that if she takes and euthanizes your cat, you will press charges against her (as a last resort).

If she traps the cat and shows up on your doorstep with her, do you have a plan in place? It may be easier for you to deal with the inconvenience of taking her inside than the heartbreak of seeing her euthanized. Perhaps she can be an indoor/outdoor cat if your neighbor will confine her chickens properly.
I completely agree with everything you have said & have learnt some new information too!
:purr:

Utilizing what is mentioned above regarding microchipping it may then be the quickest option to then adopt her out yourself if she is indeed a stray with a feral costume on after all this time outside...
Though of course if she is feral it's a different story, it does seem from what you have said she is the type who may have an easier time with adjusting to a domestic life.

You said above your husband is not keen on any of this regarding kitty, is he persuadable? Especially if it's of no hassle to him and only for the shortest while!! She is just so beautiful, I would love a heart warming story from this, I'm in need of one lately with the community cat attitude and ways over her in Australia!
xx

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would build and enclosure for her, and then when the repairs on the house are finished, talk the husband into allowing the cat into one room in the house, and make a entrance to the enclosure into that room. If the husband is worth keeping, he should be willing to compromise a little bit for a cat you clearly love.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had my Feral in the yard for a year, I ended up getting her an enclosure
she came and went whenever she wanted, I think this would be a great start for you, this will give you and her time to take the next step. I now have Walli in the house and her enclosure, It is taking time to socialize her as she is an older Feral.
I think getting her microchipped is a good idea, that way if they try to euthanize her you will be listed as the owner.