Adopted By Neighbors Kooky Cat

Beanse

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!!!

In September, I got a new neighbor and she has a cat. Cute little guy, a bit skiddish, a little kooky. He made friends with my cats. As much as cats make friends that is. No fighting, no drama, no hissing.

So Kooky cat started coming over, got a little food, got a little crush on my girl Cat made a bromance with my boy. All was fine. Then I lost my Boy. He died suddenly and it was awful. It took us all for a shock and well it’s been four months now and it still sucks.

Still, kooky keeps coming around. He started darting in the door when our backs were turned. He lets himself into my art studio and sure enough, he doesn’t want to leave. Follows me all around the yard and then right into the house.

His owner is fine with this. She is a responsible owner who knows I’m not going to hurt her cat. She is shocked by his behavior since he is usually so skiddish around people. She told me he hasn’t even gone over to her sister since he was adopted 11 years ago. Meanwhile he rubs up against me and my husband. InfCt, he has fallen off our porch twice in mid rub. With a quick bounce, he jumps back up and wants more. His Mom almost fell over when she heard I could pick him up, rub his stomach and get kisses. She could not even get a collar on the guy. I did. Yep, apparently I am a cat whisperer who knew?

Meanwhile, my girl cat is not thrilled with this. Naturally! at first she was fine, she is actually really social.... for a cat. She is neutered so no worries there. I’m dealing with typical “new cat in the house behavior” and it’s fine. He gets out of hand and out he goes, trust me!!

Tonight I’m a bit sick. My girl cat was lying in bed with me.. all is right in the world. We are watching some crappy LMN movies, don’t judge me it helps. All is good. Then kooky came into the bedroom. Obviously my soft hearted husband let him in.

She was nervous but Was Not moving from her throne anytime soon. He came over, licked her head, sniffed her ears and laid in bed with us. Yep... no joke. Me, my girl and Kooky all geeking out on really bad LMN movies.

My questions is this: is this normal??? Does this sound normal to AAAAANYONE OUT THERE???

Kooky neighbor cat is neutered. He is up to date on all his shots! He likes my girl but all male cats apparently do. Thank god she is neutered or we would be selling kittens for oranges here. She is just a social cat, not kooky social but friendly with other cats in neighborhood. We even have a colony of strays that she sometimes hangs with. It’s all good, they are TNR. The colony has been thinning out for years now.

His Mom is fine with this, she is actually a really responsible pet owner. Kooky has his sister and two dogs in her house. Kooky is not neglecting him by any means. He is ignoring her! In fact, when I come into my house out night she will be outside watching as he follows me up the walk Jane right into my home. Wow!

Normal??? Anyone????

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your post and commentary are great. I love this. I was waiting for a problem but sounds like all is well in your house! It is kinda rare for cats to just immediately be cool with each other like that but man you got lucky! Maybe in her home he is wary of the dogs, or another human in the house, or there could be a weird smell, or a million different reasons why that cat doesn't act the same way there. He is definitely happier with you and its great his owner is fine with it too. (Sounds like he was meant to be your cat!)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Beanse

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ooooh... Great!!! My girl cat will be thrilled. Can I come live with you?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You said she was not thrilled with him and then said "She was nervous but Was Not moving from her throne anytime soon. He came over, licked her head, sniffed her ears and laid in bed with us. Yep... no joke. Me, my girl and Kooky all geeking out on really bad LMN movies. " So that sounds to me like all is well right? If you want to encourage him there and have them love each other more, you could try Feliway plug ins or calming collars.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: Condolences on the loss of your boy kitty. :alright: RIP sweet boy. :angel3:

I love the story of your kooky kitty from next door. If your neighbour doesn't mind, and your husband and your girl cat don't mind, I'd say all is well. :catlove:

Beanse

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

This is my neighbor cat, sleeping in my girl cats bed. Don’t worry, since my big guy passed away a few months ago, she has been sleeping in my bed or has claimed the Sherpa blanket on the couch downstairs as her thrown. She is not one for sharing her beds and hates neighbor for pinching it, but she does have the whole house to claim. She is like a toddler going “mine Mine MINE!” Which, sadly enough, is TOTALLY normal.

Neighbor boy, (aka Kooky Kat) and My girl are now in what any vet will tell you “transitioning phase” she hisses at him, he meows back, a little imaginary bell rings and round 1 of the match begins. It’s all very normal if you have ever had two cats merge into one house. Their fine, no one actually gets hurt... except for me... who has to separate them and deal with their pissy attitudes afterwards.

When Kooky is not in my house, he is under my porch waiting for me to open the door so he can come in. He follows me through the yard and to my art studio out back Daily. His original mom watches from over the fence and is amazed! He won’t even follow her into the kitchen for meal time.

Just the other day, My girl cat actually decided to spend the night out during a wicked horrible storm. She was making a stand. It was her form of non violent protest!!! If she could have packed up her cat nip and fishy flakes into a little handkerchief on a old stick, she would have. It was all very kitty dramatic. Poor little girl, cowering under the porch not wanting to come in while I’m yelling her name and getting soaked from thunderstorm above. Yeah, she played her hand well. The little snot.

The joke was on her though:

Kooky neighbor cat actually spent the night with her under porch. He did not want to come in with out her. There they were, under the porch in the wind and rain while I went to bed upstairs! So take that drama kitty! Tables don’t often turn in this house but I sat at the head of that one tat night! HA!

The next day I caught her and brought her in. She is not going out until she has a better attitude. Yes, I officially grounded my cat. It’s wine time!

Meanwhile, Kooky Kat is now a sleep over kid. Luckily, his real mommy is a real champ about this. Since she knows I’m not going to hurt him and this kid is eating well at my house! She is okay with the situation. A stand up nice lady! I’m very lucky. I invited her over for drinks and dessert so she can have supervised visitation with her cat. Not that she needs supervision mind you, but Kooky insists upon it. He won’t even go over to her when she calls his name. The punk!

Yep... thought I would catch you kids up on the saga of the cats. It’s like a bad 70’s soap opera starring the ding bat cats and me. Did you laugh? Good! at least someone can.

I’ll let you all know when neighbor ladies dogs move in here. I’m sure it’s only a matter of time.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you for sharing.

My boy likes to visit my neighbor's house. I've asked her not to let him in and not to feed him. Only because she doesn't have a cat door (I don't want him to get trapped inside and I freak when he doesn't come home) and I don't want him damaging items in her home or picking up bad habits if she doesn't keep him off counters etc. Food is because he has a sensitive tummy and I don't want him eating something he shouldn't, although I did give her some treats so she could treat him. He likes to hang out in her yard, stalk the birds at her bird bath and generally cause mischief.

I get texts during the day and photos of him. She was worried about him lately because he hasn't been over as much. But he is just in a mood.

I don't know if I would feel comfortable if he was quiet as friendly as kooky cat is. But it is good of your neighbor to feel comfortable and I am glad all parties are happy.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Good thing your neighbour is good natured about her cat hanging out at your place. He certainly looks comfortable in your girl cats bed. :catlove:

Beanse

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cute story. :D I would be jealous if my cat ran away from home to the neighbors'.

Me too. I lucked out big time with the soon to be saint next door. I’d bake her cookies, but I’m a lousy cook. So, WINE FOR HER! I can open a box like no other!

Beanse

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good thing your neighbour is good natured about her cat hanging out at your place. He certainly looks comfortable in your girl cats bed. :catlove:

Yep... I type this as he sleeps in the box again. My girl is in my legs on bed and I’m stiff as a board from sleeping around her. Does anyone have a spare spine I can borrow for a bit? I want to move my cat over but I’m afraid. She is so comfortable.

Beanse

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for sharing.

My boy likes to visit my neighbor's house. I've asked her not to let him in and not to feed him. Only because she doesn't have a cat door (I don't want him to get trapped inside and I freak when he doesn't come home) and I don't want him damaging items in her home or picking up bad habits if she doesn't keep him off counters etc. Food is because he has a sensitive tummy and I don't want him eating something he shouldn't, although I did give her some treats so she could treat him. He likes to hang out in her yard, stalk the birds at her bird bath and generally cause mischief.

I get texts during the day and photos of him. She was worried about him lately because he hasn't been over as much. But he is just in a mood.

I don't know if I would feel comfortable if he was quiet as friendly as kooky cat is. But it is good of your neighbor to feel comfortable and I am glad all parties are happy.

Oh don’t worry, If anything I have more rules over here. No counters, no fighting, no scratching unless on post, no hissing, no fishyflakes unless for dinner, no sitting on top of tv.... I’m amazed Kooky comes over at all. I just realized I’m no fun. This is like cat boot camp.

Beanse

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cute story. :D I would be jealous if my cat ran away from home to the neighbors'.
Me too. However, I’m thinking of joining the circus of these two keep giving the stink eye to one another.

Desertmouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Aww what a cutie! I love this story and I have to admit, I wish our neighbors cat liked me that much!

I feel like I need to say this, but please don’t take it the wrong way, I truly love how great this sounds. One of the cats that I lost was a cat who got upset when a new cat joined the household. He didn’t fight with the little guy (this was a kitten who literally followed our orange tabby who looked just like him into the house) or even hiss at him, he just started staying outside more and after 5 days he never came back. I went out looking for him everyday for two weeks....I like to think he found a new home where he is treated like the king of the castle.....but realistically I think one of the predators got him.... I doubt this would happen with your girl, but after what you said about her staying out I have to mention it, I would hate to see something happen to your girl.