Adopted a cat 5 weeks ago.. I think she might be pregnant?

bee13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi y'all,

I'm new to this site, but I adopted a 9 month old kitten 5 weeks ago they told me she was spayed.. well.. Since I've had her, she's always been very affectionate and loveeess to be pet. But recently, she started being extra needy and demanding. Like constantly. I also noticed her belly has gotten bigger, but I haven't noticed a change in her appetite. Her nipples are big, but I can't remember if they were that way when I got her. Also, I'm pretty sure I felt a lump on her belly today, but now I'm thinking it might be in my head. She also has been yowling every night for the last 5 nights like exactly at 3am, but doesn't show many other signs of being in heat. The woman I adopted her from won't return my texts, but I know she had two other cats in her home (so possibly an unneutered male).

I attached some pictures. Can anyone tell me if she looks pregnant?

Thank you so much!!

1571517515408.png

1571517565716.png
1571517590776.png

Misty_Miffy_Moon

"What greater gift than the Love of a cat." --C.D.
Kitten
Purraise
I don't really think she looks/is pregnant. How long has this been going? Cats give birth in 58 to 67 days. Did you check if your cat is a female? She might be going into heat. Yowling at night is a sign of going into heat. Same for what you said "she started being extra needy and demanding." That's a sign of going into heat. My cat would act crazy when she was in heat.

The past owner might have lied about your cat being spayed. I know many people do this for the money and to get rid of the cat easier.

Heres a couple articles that might help:

How Much Does It Cost To Get A Cat Fixed

Cat Acting Strangely? Here's What It Could Mean

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bee13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't really think she looks/is pregnant. How long has this been going? Cats give birth in 58 to 67 days. Did you check if your cat is a female? She might be going into heat. Yowling at night is a sign of going into heat. Same for what you said "she started being extra needy and demanding." That's a sign of going into heat. My cat would act crazy when she was in heat.

The past owner might have lied about your cat being spayed. I know many people do this for the money and to get rid of the cat easier.

Heres a couple articles that might help:

How Much Does It Cost To Get A Cat Fixed

Cat Acting Strangely? Here's What It Could Mean
Yes! She's definitely a female. For sure and at first I thought she was just in heat. I dated a guy whose cat went into heat before he spayed her and she doesn't do a lot of the things that his cat used to. She doesn't do the butt wiggling thing and doesn't really care about trying to escape. Just the yowling at 3am

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She looks and sounds pregnant to me. You’ll know for sure if her belly continues to get bigger. If you’d like to know sooner you can get her x-rayed at the vet. You can usually see and feel kitten movement 2-3 weeks before the kittens are due. Keep us posted!

Misty_Miffy_Moon

"What greater gift than the Love of a cat." --C.D.
Kitten
Purraise
Yes! She's definitely a female. For sure and at first I thought she was just in heat. I dated a guy whose cat went into heat before he spayed her, and she doesn't do a lot of the things that his cat used to. She doesn't do the butt wiggling thing and doesn't really care about trying to escape. Just the yowling at 3am
Okay, good to know. How long has this been going? Cats give birth in 58 to 67 days.

I did some research and when cats "nipples" get bigger, its actually a sign of them being pregnant. And, yes the nipples do get bigger, they often take on a bright crimson appearance too. And if a cat's nipples have a rather "swollen" look, that also could be a sign of pregnancy. At around three weeks, the nipples will become darker and enlarge. Veterinarians call this sign "pinking up,"

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Here are some TCS articles that may help (we have a large selection of articles available on many subjects):

I hope this helps! :)

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you contact the old owner and ask which vet spayed her? That might help you sort out whether she really is spayed or they made it up.

I can't say for sure she is pregnant, but I also can't say she isn't. Her nipples do look pinker than normal, but not enough to tell for sure. Of course, you'll definitely know one way or the other in another month ;).