Adopted a 9 week old

hummingbird_456

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I'm new here. My husband and I adopted a 9 week old kitten 5 days ago, and I am stressed out. Looking for reassurance and advice from other cat owners about how to deal with a high energy kitten who doesn't want to sleep alone. His name is Sesame.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
0d13c8ea31366e2c229115fd4127191a.jpg
to you and new kitty, on behalf of The Catsite community, a warm
Welcome Sly.jpg

So glad that you’ve joined this wonderful site and you are in the right place for all things cat and this site is loaded with tons of rich resources and you’ll find friendly and helpful cats around and many of our cats are very knowledgeable in cat related stuffs.

Thank you for adopting Sesame and for giving him a warm and fur-ever loving home and a safe sanctuary to live out his life :clapcat: Do post photos of Sesame for us to see! :camera: :camera: :camera:

You may want to start a new thread and post your your queries regarding Sesame here in Cat Behavior where more members frequent and those with experience may be able to help you answer your questions.

New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You!
How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post
Community Guidelines & Practices - Frequently Asked Questions
Forum Rules

Feel free to ask questions if you have any and start a new thread of your own and post them under the appropriate forumsand do check out the many informative articles we have here in Articles | The Cat Site

Enjoy your stay and see ya around

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hummingbird_456

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is him when he's being nice. I dread it when the claws come out when he wants to play with us. We only use toys, never hands or feet, but he's a kitten and doesn't fully understand what's right.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
This is him when he's being nice. I dread it when the claws come out when he wants to play with us. We only use toys, never hands or feet, but he's a kitten and doesn't fully understand what's right.
Kittens are very playful. If you've seen how kittens play with their siblings, you'll understand the way they play and bite each other.

whenever you play with Sesame, never use you hands. Use a toy or a cat wand or ball. If he ever grab grab your hand or try to grab and nip, just tell him firmly 'NO' and present him with a toy. Always have toys laying around and that at any time, he tries to play with your hand, a toy is within reach to distract him. A kitten learn fast and so train him young.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What a cutie! The main thing to remember is that mentally, he's about the equivalent of a two-year-old child! Two gears...full speed ahead, and conked entirely out, and no clue as to consequences! You'll get there! And those articles are excellent!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He will greatly improve with age! kittens are always high energy nd known for their needle claws and bites. If he gets way too aggressive, take him by the scruff of the neck, tell him NO firmly and ignore him for a while. He'll know you mean business then. Get two kickeroos on Amazon. They are irresistible to cats and you can distract him easily from attacking you with one. Throw it towards him. Then keep the other in a plastic bag filled with catnip and interchange them to keep them fresh. They are a lifesaver with kittens!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hummingbird_456

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for your suggestions and the articles. I found them very helpful.

We plugged in a feliway diffuser yesterday and he is more relaxed so I'm hoping that continues. Also took him to the vet, and had his claws trimmed..

Last edited by a moderator: