Adequan vs Solensia for a CKD cat??

Sillycat41

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
After doing lots of research I've come to the conclusion that my 17 yr old Jengo, who has CKD, has arthritis. I would like to get him on some medication to help relieve the pain but I'm finding negative reviews on the two most common drugs. Would like some input from those of you who have used either of these drugs on a cat with kidney disease. Thanks in advance.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I won't be of much help, as I gave Feeby (19+ yo) Solensia for 6 months before stopping. She is Stage 3 CKD. After 3 months of Solensia, I thought I saw slight improvement, but then the itching started. Not finding any reason for the excessiveness of it. we concluded it had to be tied to Solensia, so after 6 months we stopped, and her excessive itchiness did disappear shortly afterward. I also was hesitant to continue with it anyway, as there doesn't appear to be any studies on longer term use on Stage 1 & 2 CKD, much less beyond that. Even the shorter term studies did not include Stage 3 and above.

From all that I have read, it seems to be mixed results with Solensia - some good, some not so great, and others with side effects, including the itchiness I saw. I have not tried Adequan, but it has been around longer and there appears to be a number of folks who have gotten results. However, I do know of a few people who are actually using both concurrently with their cats to get better results. I don't know if any of them are CKD cats, but I suspect there has to be. Unlike Solensia, Adequan also contains a joint support supplement, which may be something to consider in your deliberations on what to pursue.

I am currently using buprenorphine to help with whatever pain Feeby might be feeling. I am not sure how much it helps, but it is better than nothing.

Have you thought about a joint support supplement? Most common are Cosequin and Dasuquin - neither of which my cat would take. I did have her on Glyco Flex Plus for over 3 years before she started to refuse it. I think of all the stuff I tried, it was probably the most beneficial for her.

EDIT: The best way to determine if Jengo has arthritis is through x-rays - which should include the neck/spine and legs.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sillycat41

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. I won't be of much help, as I gave Feeby (19+ yo) Solensia for 6 months before stopping. She is Stage 3 CKD. After 3 months of Solensia, I thought I saw slight improvement, but then the itching started. Not finding any reason for the excessiveness of it. we concluded it had to be tied to Solensia, so after 6 months we stopped, and her excessive itchiness did disappear shortly afterward. I also was hesitant to continue with it anyway, as there doesn't appear to be any studies on longer term use on Stage 1 & 2 CKD, much less beyond that. Even the shorter term studies did not include Stage 3 and above.

From all that I have read, it seems to be mixed results with Solensia - some good, some not so great, and others with side effects, including the itchiness I saw. I have not tried Adequan, but it has been around longer and there appears to be a number of folks who have gotten results. However, I do know of a few people who are actually using both concurrently with their cats to get better results. I don't know if any of them are CKD cats, but I suspect there has to be. Unlike Solensia, Adequan also contains a joint support supplement, which may be something to consider in your deliberations on what to pursue.

I am currently using buprenorphine to help with whatever pain Feeby might be feeling. I am not sure how much it helps, but it is better than nothing.

Have you thought about a joint support supplement? Most common are Cosequin and Dasuquin - neither of which my cat would take. I did have her on Glyco Flex Plus for over 3 years before she started to refuse it. I think of all the stuff I tried, it was probably the most beneficial for her.

EDIT: The best way to determine if Jengo has arthritis is through x-rays - which should include the neck/spine and legs.
Thanks for the quick response! I am really nervous about using Solensia on my CKD cat. Not only does it take to long to see results, but I have read about the itching problem that you mentioned. Last thing I want to do it cause him more problems! I also read that it takes a while for Adequan to show results... that mean many shots that are inter-muscular and can be painful.

I looked up the supplements you mentioned and ruled out Glyco Flex because I know that he won't eat them. I need to find something that I can put in a capsulse and give it... sprinkling on food doesn't work either. There were some really negative reviews on Cosequin on Amazon.com... some claiming it killed their cat!!! Even allergic reactions! Then I checked Dasuquin and similar reviews. I'm wondering if just giving him human grade glucosamine/chondroitin would be better?

Back to my research.... Barb

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I looked up the supplements you mentioned and ruled out Glyco Flex because I know that he won't eat them. I need to find something that I can put in a capsulse and give it...
Although it wouldn't be a 'fun' task, the Glyco Felx Plus chews can be crushed and the put in a capsule - so something to consider. You would likely have to cut them into multiple pieces - as I did for my cat to be able to eat them - but then take it a step further and crush the pieces. A simple food chopper would do the trick.

There are probably negative reviews on most any product, but I do know many, many people use Cosequin and Dasuquin without issue. As long as you know how to calculate the proper dosage of a human grade supplement - one that doesn't contain other ingredients - you could try that as well, I suppose. Here are some other cat specific joint supplements.
10 Best Joint Supplements for Cats - Cats.com

Sillycat41

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Although it wouldn't be a 'fun' task, the Glyco Felx Plus chews can be crushed and the put in a capsule - so something to consider. You would likely have to cut them into multiple pieces - as I did for my cat to be able to eat them - but then take it a step further and crush the pieces. A simple food chopper would do the trick.

There are probably negative reviews on most any product, but I do know many, many people use Cosequin and Dasuquin without issue. As long as you know how to calculate the proper dosage of a human grade supplement - one that doesn't contain other ingredients - you could try that as well, I suppose. Here are some other cat specific joint supplements.
10 Best Joint Supplements for Cats - Cats.com

Sillycat41

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good idea! I do have a small mortar & pestle set I could use to crush them. I need to find a tiny spoon or funnel to make it easier to fill the capsules though. I'll five it a try... thanks!

Yeah, you're right... most products have negative reviews but it kind of makes me nervous anyway. I was reading about Solensia on the mfg. website that it can take a couple of months before you notice any improvement. It's an expensive drug and that makes me skeptical. :( Thanks for the link... I'll check it out. Barb