Adding New Cat To Home

kathyfrank

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I want to adopt a companion cat for my 8 yo male. He is very laid back and sleeps a lot (like cats do - but he seems to really sleep). He was raised with another cat (who passed away a year ago) and I think he would like a catmate. I don't have expectations that if I add a cat it is going to be kitty bliss.....but I want a peaceful home. I'm wondering if anyone has personal experiences with any of the following and could give their opinion. It would be helpful.

*Which get along best (on average): boy + boy or boy + girl?
*Age: mine is 8 years old - - better with a 'young adult' or maybe a kitten?
*Do claws matter? Mine is declawed and if I get another it will likely be clawed (and I won't declaw again - my views have evolved).....does it matter or should I find a declawed cat?

The only reason I thought of a kitten is because they are not set in their ways and more adaptable to everything. When I got my Moe, I had a 10 yo in the home (Hobbes). I had no idea what I was doing and just went and got another cat and found Moe who was a kitten. I brought Moe home and opened the carrier with Hobbes present and said "Heres your new friend". Hobbes wasn't pleased but got over it really fast (like days). I wouldn't do that kind of introduction again.....but the older cat/kitten thing ended up working out really really well. I'm not sure if I just got lucky.

Thanks in advance for any ideas/advice/suggestions/personal experiences.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
I would lean towards a year young adult male. You are better able to judge adult personality and you want someone pretty mellow. Kittens are just too much for older cats.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've always just pretty much thrown my cats together when I introduced them and it went fine but that's ME. LOL. The last time I brought a cat home I did the slow introduction and it was a disaster. You can gauge for yourself how things are going. That's my 2 cents. I know you want this to work, so slower is probably better. I don't know if the sex of the cat matters. I've often wondered that myself. But I do think getting a cat with a personality that matches your cat's is key. I wouldn't get a small kitten. They are too unpredictable. Maybe if you get the new cat from the shelter explain what you are looking for.
Also consider your cat may not want another cat around. Just because we think it might be nice doesn't mean that's what the cat is thinking.
It's a big decision and I wish you luck.