Acid reflux/esophagitis

Rysiek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wonder if other cat parents have cats with acid reflux and how do you manage this?
Ryshu, after a long investigation for a seemingly unrelated issue (mouth ulcerations), has been put on omeprasole. He has definitely improved. We will be tapering it next month. At the moment he gets 0.5ml a day.
He was on gabapentin which we tapered successfully, and metacam which we have started tapering (from 0.5ml dose, the taper is slow, 0.1ml a week, so his body adapts to the change).

I wonder what other options than omeprasole are? Any supplements? Diet changes? He is taking a probiotic as well Nutravet (special strain of a natural probiotic bacteria (Enterococcus faecium) together with a prebiotic, natural antioxidants and Vitamin B12 to help maintain healthy gut function, general wellbeing, support the immune system and aid recovery).

Thanks

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat doesn't have acid reflux but has had tummy issues for awhile. He's on Laxatone, Miralax and Pepcid AC Original Strength. I don't know if the Pepcid will help your kitty but you could ask his vet.

Pumpkin gets 1/4 tsp of Miralax mixed in with the laxatone plus 1/4 of a Pepcid pill (crushed). I do this twice daily. Next week he'll be put on heart medication but I don't know what kind yet. My boy is 14 years old.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rysiek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat doesn't have acid reflux but has had tummy issues for awhile. He's on Laxatone, Miralax and Pepcid AC Original Strength. I don't know if the Pepcid will help your kitty but you could ask his vet.

Pumpkin gets 1/4 tsp of Miralax mixed in with the laxatone plus 1/4 of a Pepcid pill (crushed). I do this twice daily. Next week he'll be put on heart medication but I don't know what kind yet. My boy is 14 years old.
Thank you so much, I will keep this in mind.
I see that laxatone comes in a tuna flavoured paste...

Is the pepcid pill for animals or human version?

I think for Rysiek Miralax may be a bit strong, as he is ok with bowel movements on probiotics...
Also laxatone seems to be having laxative action additionally to the anti-acidic...
But I will as my vet about this, defined...

I also struggle with increasing his liquid consumption, he just does not drink anything, apart from food in a soup form and his wet food

He will be on omeprasole for about 1.5month...as I said it seems to be working, but I don't want to keep him on this forever..

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We give the prescription medication, Ondansetron (Zofran) which is a 12-hour pill. Sometimes we're able to only give one dose a days, but sometimes we have to give it twice a day. We also sometimes give Pepsid (generic form), 1/2 of a 10 mg tablet, but it only lasts for 4-6 hours, but it's faster acting than Ondansetron.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Rysiek Rysiek -

Is the pepcid pill for animals or human version?
So that you have clear understanding, it is the human variety, famotidine, "Pepcid AC".......comprehensive info here.

Now, about that link I gave you.....it's from one page of a well-recognized-as-reliable website which is written in plain language, and which has kidney disease as its primary focus.....BUT....the basic/foundational information in there is generic to all cats.

From that link, you could scroll to the top and the intro to managing nauseated cats.......or, use this direct link. ( omeprasole is covered in there too) (and, elsewhere on the website, mouth ulcers and their treatment are discussed.)

Hoping that helps!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rysiek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Rysiek Rysiek -

So that you have clear understanding, it is the human variety, famotidine, "Pepcid AC".......comprehensive info here.

Now, about that link I gave you.....it's from one page of a well-recognized-as-reliable website which is written in plain language, and which has kidney disease as its primary focus.....BUT....the basic/foundational information in there is generic to all cats.

From that link, you could scroll to the top and the intro to managing nauseated cats.......or, use this direct link. ( omeprasole is covered in there too) (and, elsewhere on the website, mouth ulcers and their treatment are discussed.)

Hoping that helps!
Thank you ever so much 😸