About To Move With My Cat, Need Advice.

Californiacatboy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is my tabby Jack, he is around 9 months old. He is a very friendly cat, he's lived with me, my grandma, and her 13 yr old cat in a 2br house for past 5 months.
I am about to move and want to take Jack with me. I am moving into a communal apartment, so I will have my own private bedroom, but I share a bathroom and kitchen area with a few others. I was originally going to live on the second floor, another lady lives up there and lets her cat walk around. I thought I would just let my cat walk around like her cat. The manager talked to her about me moving in and she told him that the last time someone lived in that room with a cat the cats didn't get along. So I will probably be moving into the downstairs room, which is pretty big at least, but its still just a room. Right now he sleeps a lot of the day and doesn't go outside that often, but sometimes he likes to play in the garden and dig holes. He's also friends with the older cat so I feel kind of bad for taking him away from him.
I'm starting to really bond with him so I wanted to take him with me but I don't want to put him in a situation that is bad for him just because I want him with me.
Do you think he is gonna miss being able to run around outside? Will he miss my grandmas cat?
I want to get him a harness so he can still enjoy the outdoors when I tried putting a thundershirt on him he really freaked out until I took it off him.
I'm also hoping the litter box odor won't reek out form the room because sometimes I have to be gone for a 24 hour shift.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Here’s an article for you to check out: 9 Tips That Will Help Your Kitten Adapt To A New Apartment

At 9 months old, Jack is still a kitten. :) He’s very cute, by the way, and has such a striking pattern!

Pretty much the key thing to helping a cat or kitten adjust to any new environment is to take it slow, just introducing one room at a time. Be sure to spend extra time with Jack during this transitional period, and you can also try a Feliway diffuser to further reduce his stress level.

I think it’s not a bad thing that Jack will be an indoor-only cat now. Outdoors can be a dangerous place for cats, and since he’s still young, he should make the adjustment quickly. The important thing is to make the indoors interesting, by putting up cat trees and/or cat shelves and having plenty of toys for Jack to play with independently or with you. Here’s an article that gives some great tips about this: The Five Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside

I think leash training sounds like a great idea, since that way Jack can still get the physical and mental stimulation of the outdoors. I’ll attach a link to an article about leash training for you to check out: Harness And Leash Training For Cats