Abdominal Tumour

cat calamity

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,
My 13 year old cat has been suffering various health issues over the last year and a half. First she suffered chronic ear infections which we got under control. Around this time, she stopped grooming herself and we’ve had continual problems with a greasy matted coat. She then became ravenously hungry, but was losing weight. I took her to the vet and he found a growth on her tooth which was suspected cancer. Bloods taken for diabetes and a biopsy all came back clear. Breathed a sigh of relief, but in the meantime the appetite continued as well as an ongoing problem with intermittent frequent vomiting and coughing (dry- like there’s something caught in her throat). I changed her food to just chicken mince, and she has been able to keep this down. Her appetite has reduced to a more normal level since I did this. I took her to a new vet. She can feel a large mass in her abdomen and gave antibiotics for an upper respiratory infection. She ordered blood tests and results came back clear for hyperthyroidism and anything else. I don’t want this kitty to suffer anymore, but now that she’s keeping food down she seems a little more settled. I’ve decided not to go further with ultrasounds or an operation/ Chemo for this stomach growth if it came to that. But at what point do I put her to sleep? The vet did say I could try steroid therapy to see if that shrinks the mass. She sleeps a lot but still purrs when I brush or pet her. I worry she’s in pain and hiding it. I didn’t know initially she had ear infections and I know in hindsight she would have been suffering. I’m sorry for the long spiel, I’m not sure what I’m asking really. Just feeling upset and guilty for this little
girl :(