Abandoned Stray Kitten With 3 Legs.

Ant

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Alright so last night i took in a stray that may be a little under 8 weeks maybe younger that only had 3 legs and happens to be the runt out of the litter. It appears that the mother wants nothing to do with it since all it does is hiss and scratch at it every time it got near her or its siblings. I decided to take in the poor girl, but the only problem i have is i have a male cat who is a year old that may be too rough when it comes to interacting with her. They don't hiss at one another, but occasionally I'll break them apart whenever they do wrestle. He has been neutered since last december and i do plan on taking the newcomer to the vet within the next couple days. Keeping them seperated is hard to do since i live in a pretty small apartment. What actions should i take?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hello A Ant Thank you so much for bringing this kitten indoors. She wouldn't have had a chance outside. If she's only 8 weeks old you should keep her confined to a box or a crate for now. Your older cat may hurt her unintentionally and you need to get the kitten checked over by a vet to make sure she doesn't have anything contagious.

A cardboard box in the bathroom would be fine. Kittens that age don't need much space.

Is there a vet nearby you can take her too? Is she eating? Does she look like he lost her leg or was she born that way?

For now keep her warm, keep her confined, get her some wet kitten food if she will eat it or some KMR if she won't. Don't give her cow's milk, it will make her sick. Try to get her to a vet ASAP.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Swell you could step in and save this girl.
Its a little funny momma had apparently raised her up, and its first now, she is rejecting her.

Anyways, easier to foster them and socialize as young compared to when almost grown up. so in a way, no harm done - her sheer luck...
As you surely know, if she is healthy, being 3 legged wont give her no real problems, not as an inside only cat. Why, some even develop into decent hunters... so its a handicap only when living homeless outside.

I see your older resident is already a good friend with her... The wrestling perhaps a trifle too lively, esp as she is trilegged and much younger. Also, its wise to get a vet check up, deworming etc, before they meet for real, with common food, litter etc..

As Norachans asks: seems she to be born three-legged, or had she lost it? If so, well healed or still raw??

Re food: goats milk is always an useful alternative - either instead of KMR, or as supplement later on...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ant

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Her leg seems to be good. She may have been born with half missing or lost it really early, for where it stops is completely sealed. She's eating well and I'll be sure to set up her own space so that she doesn't get overwhelmed by the other cat. Thank you for the advice and actions to take I'll be sure to do all that has been stated.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
aww, thank you for taking her in. She'll for sure have a better, happier and healthier life with you.

Do take her to the vet, last thing you want is your other cat getting worms or getting sick from the kitten. Once she's treated, then you can properly introduce her with your resident kitty.

got photos? Did you name her yet?

Ant

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Haven't named her yet since I'm terrible at coming up with names. As for photos, i do have one but I'm only getting the option of uploading a picture that i take instead of ones i already have. I'm also at work now so i'm unable to take the pic and post it. I can once i am out however.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She's precious! :)

Is your male cat being too rough?

Do you have a room you can put her in for now? Or even a large dog crate? She needs room to play!

It looks like her water dish is empty. Do you give her wet food too?

Ant

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Water dish at the time was empty as i was pitting everything together and thought I'd take a photo while she was looking at me. I am looking to buy a dog cage for her so she can play around in a much larger area. I just grabbed what i could find the moment i got home. My other cat is a bit too rough when it comes to interacting with her so i'm making sure I'm always present when they do interact.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Little Sweetie!

She looks quite healthy apart from the missing leg. Some feral kittens I've picked up have terrible colds and eye infections.

A dog crate is a good idea. Have you been able to get a vet appointment for her yet? She'll almost definitely have worms having been outside. Are you planning to keep her or will you rehome her?

Ant

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Was able to get an appointment for today due to a cancellation. According to the vet her leg was removed from trauma since there was a lot of scar tissue around the area and not a birth defect. Her fecal test came back negative for worms, but they gave me some medication for it just incase they may have missed it. Other than that they said that she's healthy.

nahui

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This are great news! She's healthy!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:clap::clap: Wonderful update! You are my hero for rescuing that precious girl. Are you familiar with the legendary Margaret a.k.a. Maggie Brown, aka The Unsinkable Molly Brown? Debbie Reynolds did a musical on film, and the play is still a favorite of small town theaters. Anyway, Molly Brown was of lowly, uncultured birth who married a poor, self-taught mining engineer who helped put Leadville, CO on the map. Maggie lived larger than life and used her new wealth to become educated and enter elite Denver and European society, while staying true to her roots establishing soup kitchens for poor kids, pushing for the establisment of juvenile courts and ultimately taking charge of Lifeboat 6 of the Titanic and forcing the crew to go back for survivors. She might be a good namesake for your tough but oh-so-cute kitten- she is a little princess who knows how to fight to survive!