Abandoned Newborn Kitten

Status
Not open for further replies.

nmcnl

genevieve, nova, ash, & fizz
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone! I found a kitten that can’t be more than a few days old. I know basics on how to care for the little one, but I’ve never taken care of one so young without a mama. I’m in desperate need of info. I got him kitten formula already but the nipple is too big so i cut it more. it somewhat works, but not very well.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nmcnl

Young Cat
Purraise
the kitten is making a clicking noise when it breathes sometimes?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It seems you manage OK with bottle feeding... Its luck, because kittens whom had access to momma are often reluctant to bottle.

That is why its often easier with a syringe; often combined with a miracle nipple...

But if bottle works for you, so proceed with that, its a little safer.

Weighting the kitten, in the beginning every 12 hours, will help you to know if it gains and how much.

If it gains 10+ grammes per 24 hours; its well. you are on the right track.
If much less, you must do something more.

ps.. What does Hydro rescue? You dont need to answer now, if you are busy.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
the kitten is making a clicking noise when it breathes sometimes?
Its potentially alarming, as pneumonia may sound this.
And its easy to get pneumonia, if they get fluid into their lungs while being feed.
Pneumonia with kittens is serious; its the most common cause healthy kitten die... it may go quickly.
Some vets try with antibiotica, others say nothing much can be done with so young.

However, I have noticed some of our forumites tells about this sound, but the kitten develops without further problems...

Can you get raw goats milk? I wont promiese it helps against pneumonia, but its healthy for young kittens....

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Uh-oh. The clicking sound in tiny kittens usually means they’ve aspirated milk into the lungs and are developing pneumonia. He will need clavamox immediately. Please see a vet asap.

This is why syringe feeding in kittens is preferable. It’s much easier to control the milk flow and go slowly. Have you watched the video?

How is the kitten today?
nmcnl nmcnl

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nmcnl

Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone. Unfortunately, the kitten passed away less than 24 hours after I found him. I was devastated. Although we didn't know is he was a male or female, we called him "Tom" because the markings on his face resembled Tom's from Tom & Jerry. He was using the bathroom without stimulation and had bloody diarrhea. I stayed up all night trying to care for him and keep him alive. I was going to take him to the vet as soon as they opened that morning, but he didn't make it that long. I made him a tiny "casket" and buried him. I knew that he didn't have a high chance of survival, but I'm still really sad and wish I could have done more for him. I'm attaching a picture of his final resting "home" <3
IMG_9381.jpeg IMG_9382.jpg

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am so sorry for the loss of your kitten. So much of the care of an abandoned baby like this is really out of your hands and you tried extremely hard to help him. It is absolutely true that he knew love, care, and a mother during his short life. His little casket shows how much he meant to you.

When a cat or kitten passes on, we close the thread out of respect. You are welcome to post a remembrance of him in our Crossing the Bridge forum.

Crossing the Bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.