A vet prescribed human medication to my cat. Is this okay?

mimao

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
(Context: I'm from Southeast Asia, where veterinary services are often pricey hehe)

Hi!

Okay so two of my cats just got spayed last night at a low-cost spay and neuter clinic in the city. They told me that the post-op medication prescribed by the vet is a little expensive but if it's too much for me, I had the option to purchase alternatives from them: one anti-bacterial and one vitamin c.

Being in the tight financial spot that I'm in right now, I chose the alternative.

When the vet service arrived and delivered my cats to me, the medicine he brought back from the vet were Cefalexin (Diacef, the antibacterial, 250 mg/ 5ml) and Ascorbic Acid (Novacee, 100 mg / 5ml). If I'm not mistaken, these are kids' medicine, right?

I know for a fact that here, sometimes vets prescribe human medicine with special indications in them to make the dosage appropriate to cats, but I was wondering if these two were really okay to give. I know it's strange of me to question a licensed vet's advice but I've seen people say never give any human medication to cats ever and that's been making me paranoid.

Just wanted to hear your thoughts folks!

Some notes:
- I've had my other cat, Pabu, spayed in a private clinic. It was way too expensive and the post-op medication they gave me was Tolfenamic Acid for pain relief. No anti-bacterial and vitamin C. If I recall correctly, I think it's because they gave a long-acting one before Pabu was released from the clinic.

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Some medications used for humans are also safe in cats. You should never use them without speaking to a vet first though, as many medications are deadly if used wrong or given the wrong dose. I'm not familiar with those medications, so I'll need to google them and get back to you. Hopefully someone more experienced will see this post and be able to give you more info on those medications.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mimao

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks, Jem and Crystal! I did my research last night and this morning as well, but better safe than sorry. I know ascorbic acid is sometimes prescribed to cats but there's a specific dose. Pabu got sick a few months back and she was given doxycycline + ascorbic acid. Just wasn't sure about cefalexin so thanks so much for the link!