A trip back 40+ years ago

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We are slowly working on downsizing things around here.

Rick found a box in the bedroom closet; we knew it had been in there for years, but we never really opened it to see what it was. He opened it yesterday. OMG! It contains old bills, old returned checks and check stubs.....from back in the late 60s to very early 70s! 
 Needless to say, we sat down and took a good gander through everything. There were checks in there that blew us away. I had written a check to our local library for $9.50 cents for a library fine! 
 I'm always good about reading books, but I never, ever get the books back to the library in time and am constantly paying fines. Rick looked at me and said, "Wow! Some things never change!" Snot

Old electric bills, old telephone bills. I remembered what most of our old telephone numbers were. Rick could not.

He found the check from me buying Baby Blue and being able to bring it home, my first Kitchen Aid stand mixer. I had put it on layaway and paid every week before I could finally get it out of hock. Baby Blue is still being used in our kitchen, along with Big Red, our new stand mixer.

There was a check from a local nice women's clothing store (no longer in existence, sad to say) that Rick had bought me a gorgeous garnet-colored wool skirt and vest. I remember that. And I remember how upset our mothers were when he bought it for me because we weren't married. But I liked it and he loved it, so he bought it. It took me a while to remember that outfit. That was in 1970. I did a lot of shopping in that store. A check for the down payment on our mobile home (that we had for about a year before losing it in the flood from Hurricane Agnes in '72). A check for his 1971 Mustang that he ordered right before we realized we were getting married.  A check to a local jewelry store for my pearl ring and then another one for my garnet ring, and then later for our wedding bands (I never cared for diamonds). A check for our first queen mattress and box springs. It was like walking down memory lane and we enjoyed it. 

We found some old warranties for stuff we no longer have. 

Old paycheck stubs. Way, way back then? We were making about $12,000 a year.....combined. I don't know, maybe we were under the poverty level and didn't know it. Whatever. We were happy. We had food. We weren't starving. We had Graham and he was healthy (except for his asthma). Thinking back, god, we were such innocents. I know it sounds silly, but we were.

We took a good look at everything and then he started to shred the papers. He's about halfway through the box. Why we ever kept it that long is beyond us. 

Did you ever find anything like that? What did you do with it?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise

Did you ever find anything like that? What did you do with it?
Yes, I had kept every card that my husband or children gave to me, e.g. birthday, anniversary, Valentine's Day, Mother's Day, etc.  I spent lord knows how much time reading them and reminiscing.  I ended up keeping the ones that were handmade with personal inscriptions and a few other choice ones.  Thankfully they didn't have e-cards back then so I have a physical card to hold and cherish. 

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My mother found the receipts for her wedding to my father when they cleaned out my Grandparent's house a couple years ago.  They divorced in 1984. 
  The house wasn't too big and they didn't keep too much around; it never seemed over crowded or cluttered.  So who knows why Gram kept those all these years!!  

Yes, I had kept every card that my husband or children gave to me, e.g. birthday, anniversary, Valentine's Day, Mother's Day, etc.  I spent lord knows how much time reading them and reminiscing.  I ended up keeping the ones that were handmade with personal inscriptions and a few other choice ones.  Thankfully they didn't have e-cards back then so I have a physical card to hold and cherish. 
Thats the sort of thing I keep too. I buy those nicer looking boxes for photos and things from AC Moore.  I especially like looking at the cards and letters from my Grandparents now.  E-cards just aren't the same.  I know I have all the cards from my DH; but I'm not sure I've kept all the ones from my Grandparents.  I have a few from my Great-Aunts I know.  And letters from my best friend at the time when we were in Middle school and I'd moved away.  They kept me going and now it's funny to look back at what we talked about.  Getting home and finding a letter in the mailbox was the highlight of my weeks for a few years.  It was a few years after that that we had computer access and e-mail addresses; but we never kept up that way really.  It's funny to think how excited I was when my Aunt sent me a book of stamps for my birthday because sometimes our mothers would say no more stamps for the next week and we'd have to just write LONGER letters and wait to send them! 

My DH doesn't like holding onto much.  His dad is a bit of a pack-rat in some ways so DH has an aversion to clutter.  He has a couple shoeboxes with things from high school; but not much.  Most of it is bibs from races he ran.  He didn't even keep his trophies! 

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Due to my age, I wouldn't have things back that far, LOL!  However, I don't like "stuff", so I go through files and papers several times a year. I'm not very sentimental, but I have a few small decorative boxes as memory boxes, and I try not to put too much into those, either.

Clutter makes me twitchy.  I have spent the past 2 years trying to clear out the kitchen I volunteer in, as the woman who runs it is a borderline hoarder. I once found a box full of those cellophane bags that products come in,  with the folded cardboard label that is stapled to the cellophane bag. She pulls nasty used scrubby pads out of the trash, and TRIES to make me use them. I come back the next day, as she's not there, and take them home to trash. You have no idea how many bags of trash I have smuggled out. She also hoards glass pickle jars--the Vlasic ones--not antique ones.

She once showed me a photo of her cat (at home).  The poor thing was sitting on a stack of newspapers that must have been at least 2 feet high, and 5-6 feet wide. This was in her living room. She does love her cats and does take good care of them, though.

I have little to no patience with pack rats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I have problems with packrats, especially since we cleaned out Dear Richard's parents' house last year. Horrible experience. Although by that time, we were getting to be pretty good at it. We had cleaned Mom and Dad's house out, then my aunt's apartment, then Mom and Dad's apartment. The easiest was my parents' house and then their apartment. Mom was always pretty meticulous about things; she really didn't abide a lot of clutter. She was a cleaning fanatic, too, so we really didn't have to clean much from their stuff. Rick's parents, OTOH, well, I posted about it as we were doing it. Not pretty. Packrats, bordering on hoarding, I think. It wasn't pretty. And I think that's what has Rick working on cleaning things out around here now; he doesn't want Graham to have to deal with any more than he'll have to handle.

I save greeting cards and have a lot of Graham's things that he made for us when he was younger. And now we have Caleb and Sarah's things, too. Those are special and we keep them. We have a lot of family pictures and, since nobody else wanted pictures from the parents and in-laws, well, we kept them. We didn't think they should be thrown out, but I guess that's what will happen to them eventually. I think the further away people get from their great-relatives, there's no sentiment there and they don't care about pictures and the like. 

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My cousin and I are big on the old family photos.  Whenever we visit she and I go into the basement and get the slide projector out and look through a few trays.  Our Grandparents used to take her with them everywhere they went; so shes good at identifying people too.  I took a bunch of photos from my other Grandparents house years ago.  I don't know who took their slides but hopefully someone did.  My MIL spent some time converting slides to digital and sent us a few disks.  She had some even older photos that she scanned.  Its really neat to look back at those and pick out family traits, see how they lived and dressed, etc.  

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I am guilty of being a packrat. I am getting better. I have a bad habit of saving pieces and parts. I now have two drawers full of kitchen crap or ?? I need to dump. I recently started shredding my paystubs from 1993 and up. I don't know why I saved it. My mom used to tell me that the IRS can come after you and you need to have proof. Now that was 1993?! So now I know better. I currently have a ton of stuff to shred. I am considering going to someone's bomb fire and throw everything in there. I want to get one of those small grill things people use at night outside-I could burn my mail and use the ashes for my grass. I just have no patience for shredding. The motor heats up then you need to wait a whole day. So I have years of documents I need to shred. I have them in boot boxes and stacked in the office.

I wish I hung onto stuff from highschool=my memory is very bad now and I don't even remember much of anything-I got rid of my school yearbook and all the papers and clutter a kid has. I know I am guilty of hanging on to stuff. Reading your stories about your MIL Winchester helps propel me to do the right thing and purge my home of clutter. My worst enemy is books. but at least they are always in style. It's just they are heavy and I have cut back on buying. I used to go to booksales every weekend..I haven't gone to any big sales in years. I used to go down to MA all the time. I just tell myself a bit at a time. And when I get mail in I try to cut it up in pieces and marker out my name etc. I even signed up to get less junk mail and still getting too many offers and clutter. I would go to email form but I have a bad habit of not checking email for weeks so I need that paper copy to come in the mail to remind me to pay the bill. but once I pay it=I get rid of the invoice and everything.

I haven't done much this winter. But I know I need to bite the bullet and stop making excuses. I don't know what is more exhausting=cleaning up after myself or going to the gym and dieting...I hate both with A passion even though after it's done I feel fabulous. So send me some fairey dust to get my a@@ in gear and clean. Thank Goodness Jon isn't too much of a clutter bug but his side of the bedroom has some stuff accumulating...grrrr..why do we always save stuff??!!

My sister has all the family photos etc. I don't have too much in photos=I don't really like a lot of pictures on my walls. one or two each room is all I tolerate-more to dust and wipe down~

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I think that once Rick retires, he may sell much of his sports memorabilia. I will be going through my kitchen stuff for a spring yard sale. (I am not allowed to give away any more of my cookbooks as my granddaughter was quite put-out with me when she realized that I had given some to our library. I really don't know what in the world she's going to do with them, to be honest. She's only 9 right now....by the time she's old enough, the books will be ancient.)

Rick does keep things (utility bills, paystubs, etc.) for about ten years, then they get shredded. For some reason, this box always got overlooked. He files away warranties and such for everything, which is good. 

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am the opposite of a pack rat. I detest clutter or accumulations of any kind. Husband is a packrat bordering on eccentric. In order to throw things out I have to use trash cans & dumpsters on my street. Even recycling. He will remove stuff from the garbage cans. He is especially bad with paper. Definitely a paper hoarder.

I have several diaries I kept when younger. Most recently one of my bros found a diary of mine that I kept when I was 9. So poignant reading it. I will always keep my diaries. One of my diaries I have that I kept in my early twenties is primarily about sex & all the men I knew. [emoji]128132[/emoji][emoji]128068[/emoji][emoji]128139[/emoji][emoji]128133[/emoji][emoji]127995[/emoji]

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pam, before Rick shreds the entire lot, why not make a collage of some of the most precious receipts, etc. (for your rings, say, or your mobile home) & then frame it? Wouldn't take up much space. Seems a shame to toss all that history of a happy successful marriage.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I never really thought of that. He's already shredded most of it at this point. We'll have to see what's left. Neat idea! Thanks!

Primula, you could probably publish your diary about sex and men......these days, it would, no doubt, be a best seller! 

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am not allowed to give away any more of my cookbooks as my granddaughter was quite put-out with me when she realized that I had given some to our library. I really don't know what in the world she's going to do with them, to be honest. She's only 9 right now....by the time she's old enough, the books will be ancient.)
Maybe in a few years you can go through them with her and let her mark some as keepers.

My Grandfather gave me these last year. Both are local collections of "old time" recipes. He is 95 and lives in an assisted living home; so hes not cooking. He kept it just to browse. The bottom one is crumbling (and has some burn marks) but they are full of recipes you can't find anywhere else. I even found his "recipe" for beans and greens handwritten on a note inside. I say "recipe" because there are no amounts given and only the barest of instructions. I took a picture because a 3rd cousin asked if I had it a few years ago.

Cookbooks are a way to pass on your heritage. My Mom and Aunt have Grams various cookbooks too.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Primula, you could probably publish your diary about sex and men......these days, it would, no doubt, be a best seller! :D
LOL, I could! Amazing how many entries in my diaries concerning men whose names don't ring a bell at all. The day men stopped looking at me was rather a sad day for me. :(