A Tribute to My Sweet KitKat

Cat_Mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
KitKat came to me unexpectedly August of 2004 at 3 weeks old. My best friend lived near a feral cat colony and one of the cats had a litter of kittens on her back patio. The mama cat disappeared leaving 3 kittens behind. My friends dad was planning to take the kittens to the shelter. I was afraid they'd be out down so I offered to take them. When we got to her house there was only one kitten. I immediately scooped her up and took her home. Her first several weeks with me she stayed in a box on my bed and I bottle fed her every 2 hours. Even once she weaned and had full access to the house her favorite spot was on my bed.
Whenever I was struggling with things she was always right there and she had this 6th sense where she knew when I was feeling anxious and she'd immediately lay on my chest and calm me down. She was the one constant in my life for nearly 18 years.
In May of 2020 while were in the process of moving she developed a UTI that kept coming back after completing antibiotics. Finally in July she seemed to be back to normal but had developed kidney disease. Then about a month ago I noticed that she wasn't eating as much in the evenings, several days later she had almost completely stopped eating and then went 24hrs without using the litterbox. We went to the vet and she was diagnosed with a UTI and given treatment. After treatment she still wasn't eating so we tried her on an appetite stimulant and she was treated for constipation. She began to eat but was only interested in treats and had to be hand fed. A couple days later she began to stumble on her back legs and I knew it was time. All along I feared that this may be the end but she didn't seem to be in pain so I held out hope but seeing her struggle to walk was too much and she didn't deserve to suffer. We said goodbye to our sweet girl on March 23rd. This was the first time I've had to make that difficult decision and it was heart wrenching.
I have so many wonderful memories of KitKat and I've really tried to focus on those over the last 2 weeks. We also adopted 2 kitties over the weekend and while I've had moments of guilt and feeling like I replaced my sweet girl, they have already brought me such joy. I see little bits of my KitKat and each of them and I like to think that she helped bring them into my life. PXL_20220328_173528647.jpg PXL_20220130_194201649.jpg PXL_20211204_050221014~2.jpg PXL_20211123_181416422.jpg

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, KitKat, dream you deep. You walk in someone's heart forever!

No, no, no, no guilt! KitKat is happy and healthy in That Place Where All Things Are Known, and she blesses you for a life of care and love. If she could talk to you, I'm betting that she would tell you that the greatest honor you can give her memory is to make a home for little ones who otherwise might never have one. She knows that those cats can never replace her, but will make their very own places in your heart, and will keep her memory company.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I am very sorry for your loss. Take it one day at a time, and I pray so earnestly that you will find comfort in this time of grief and sadness.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Of course, KitKat steered those kittens into your life. She taught you what a cat's love is and would like nothing better than to pass on the legacy that she left you. Her love is secure in your heart, it can never be replaced but will grow even bigger under the sunshine of loving those two new little ones.
The bond of love is spiritual, so eternal. It can never be taken from you, your sweet KitKat will forever be as close as your thoughts and prayers. If you try real hard, you will feel that comfortable weight on your chest whenever you need it, she will always be near. don't ever be afraid to ask her to help you through this.
Her love is endless. She loves you completely, you saved her and gave her such a wonderful home and the care of someone who loves her. You gave her everything.....
You have many years of wonderful memories, do not let her end mar those. go forward into life and live it as you would have wanted her to live if you were the first to go. Not in perpetual grief and tears, but in thankfulness and knowing you received something few do in this world, something precious and unique, a cat's love.......
RIP sweet KitKat. You will be dearly missed. You will always have a secure place in a loving heart. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Aww, little KitKat. I know what you mean about the first time to make the decision to let them go, it's one of the toughest things in the world to do and is gut-wrenching. My heart goes out to you.

I'm so glad KitKat sent you a couple of little buddies to help you out in your time of grief. :hugs:

Rest in peace, sweet girl. :rbheart:

BeccaCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m sorry for your loss 😢 So many kitties need a good home, I think KitKat would be very thankful you are providing a loving home to two little kitties 💕💕💕

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
KitKat was truly your soul kitty, the kind that the ancient Egyptians said would guard your dreams. Such a beautiful kitty, so much expression & personality in her photos....she was your heart's treasure just as she was yours. You have her 18 years - VERY impressive, especially considering her rocky start in life. And adopting 2 little ones is an amazing tribute to honor a fabulous kitty.