A supplement for allergies?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dante had terrible allergies. Now I have Jackie who is a siamese mix. Since Siamese are prone to allergies & teeth issues I’m avoiding chicken/wheat/corn & getting him used to getting his teeth brushed.

Has anyone ever given their cat lysine for allergies? Did it reduce your cat’s allergies? What type of supplement do you suggest? (Assume he won’t eat the treats!)

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lysine doesn't help with allergies, but you might talk to your vet about a daily antihistamine. We give our herpes girl a daily dose of Loratidine (plain claritin).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jackie is showing no signs of allergies. I’m just scared after loosing Dante to severe asthma brought on by allergies! 😥 if he had been able to breath I would have fought longer than a week to see if his pancreatitis would clear up (the reason I fight with Jackie and try to keep his fish intake low instead of tuna everything.) it is just hard when you loose your babies from something you believe you could have prevented. So naturally I'm over cautious with the new ‘kitten’ (juvinelle.)

syzygycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Dante had terrible allergies. Now I have Jackie who is a siamese mix. Since Siamese are prone to allergies & teeth issues I’m avoiding chicken/wheat/corn & getting him used to getting his teeth brushed.

Has anyone ever given their cat lysine for allergies? Did it reduce your cat’s allergies? What type of supplement do you suggest? (Assume he won’t eat the treats!)
It was a commonly held belief Lysine supplements can help cats fight off vital infection. It was proven to be a myth.(although some people still believe the myrh over the data).
Lysine was never meant as an allergy treatment and is known to cause allergic reactions in some cases. Don't give you cat lysin if youre allready worried abour allergies,

Even in breeds susceptible to allergies, allergies in cats are far more rare than in humans, if you believe your cat has an allergy. get them tested by a doctor.

Im assuming its a food allergy? Chanve to a novel (new) meat in a "limited ingredient" food. Its got to be a meat theyve never eaten betore for most of us duck, kangatoo, rabbit are options. Limited ingredient food puts just one veggie in there, 10weeks of a novel diet get rid of the original allergy. make sure it says limited ingredienton the packaging and make sure its ameant they never had. This is the one I used

For temporary relief of alergies you can give a cat 10-12.5mg benedryl. The children's syrup is an option , or cut a 25mg benedryl in half (id start with a 1/4 the first time)

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might research and give DMG to boost the immune system. There are Lysine treats on Amazon that have DMG in them. I give it to my cats every day. If the immune system is revved up, it prevents many illnesses and may help with allergies too. I give my cats Benadryl, 1/2 tab or 1 mg. per lb of weight for allergic reactions, but be careful it is very sour and can cause foaming at the mouth, it is best given hidden in a piece of cheese, etc, to avoid this, and hope they swallow it whole.

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might research and give DMG to boost the immune system. There are Lysine treats on Amazon that have DMG in them. I give it to my cats every day. If the immune system is revved up, it prevents many illnesses and may help with allergies too. I give my cats Benadryl, 1/2 tab or 1 mg. per lb of weight for allergic reactions, but be careful it is very sour and can cause foaming at the mouth, it is best given hidden in a piece of cheese, etc, to avoid this, and hope they swallow it whole.
As an allergy is an overreaction of the immune system, "boosting" the immune system is not a logical step to take. Not that I think DMG would likely have a huge effect either way-there's no evidence that it helps with anything, but there's also no evidence that it's harmful (assuming you get it from a reputable supplier).

We'd love to know how to reduce the chance of developing allergies but we don't have a solution to that problem yet. Some say avoid certain foods, some say exposure to multiple foods while they're young is better. The answer is probably somewhere in between, with the caveat that every cat is different. Getting a cat used to different flavors and textures while they're young can help if you do need to change foods at some point in their life. It's nice to have a cat who will eat anything in those situations!

I say, focus on feeding nutritious food that will help reduce the chances of other common health problems (wet food, high protein, low fish, etc), and try not to worry too much about the allergies, because that one isn't under your control. There are no supplements known to help with allergies. If you do want to try some for other reasons, run them by your vet first because some of them are great, and some of them can be dangerous if used incorrectly or in the wrong combinations.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I still believe, being an RN, that a healthy, strong body can resist many afflictions, including allergies. It is a weak body that cannot fight off illnesses. If a foreign invader invades a strong system it is much easier fought off, and a strong system recovers faster. The body's own systems are being used to fight against cancer now. There are still many things and miracles out there that cannot be explained by science......

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dante passed over a year ago. Like I said I would have given him more time to hopefully recover from the pancreatitis BUT his allergy induced asthma was severe that he was still panting after the first drug was given to him, to put him to sleep..... the vet was kind though & let me say goodbye as long as I wanted before administering the second shot. Here is picture of my beloved punk/bud with Jackie my twerp/little dude.

54F8AEC5-5A34-493A-A103-7F088528AB27.jpeg

I think it was all the chicken in the kitten food he kept stealing that caused the severe asthma ... which he never had before.

About the supplement after this crazy pandemic I will bring Jackie in to talk to my favorite vet (not the newer dr) & ask her about supplements. She is very holistic do she may have some ideas. I know having MS (& allergies) that there are time I wish my immune system was weaker. What works for me is Tysabri (which Helps blocks why white blood cells from entering my brain & spine)Flonase, Claritin D, avoiding grass and treating anything & everything that could possibly be a bit has poison! For Dante he was on a strict poultry free Diet u til the kittens arrived.... well & when my dumb*** roommate used to give him treats or let him eat food that poultry in it. It wasn’t benadryl but I gave him an allergy pill for 3-5 days if his lip even started to swell.

Since Jackie was 3.5 months old he lived with just me. So I finally had control over his diet. So I switched him to mainly wet in effort for him to be healthier & he gets duck dry food (blue buffalo wilderness.) For 3 months I tried to force him to eat non fishy wet food & he is a stubborn bugger!!! So Jackie won. I now give him food like my bff which is 1/2 one type of protein & 1/2 fish protein. I still toss in a can of all beef or all beef/liver or all chicken or turkey about every 10th can (5 days.) He demands variety so I buy him lots of variety. I try to avoid buying him (or reduce The amount of) chicken. I also avoid buying him food with corn or wheat ... except his temptation treats 🙄 I also Tried freeze dried salmon (hard to break up.) Though he gets those fancy feast treat pouches of flaked tuna or salmon (he flat out rejects the flaked chicken!) Feeding him 3-4 wet meals a day Is a lot of effort & extra $$$. I do it to try to keep him healthy. I’m always looking for a new protein to put in his diet.

⭐ I might try giving him a rabbit dry food or kangaroo but I want to buy a sample can to try first. I know from experience that cats don’t like venison that much but sadly seem to like bunny as much as beef.

syzygycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Dante passed over a year ago. Like I said I would have given him more time to hopefully recover from the pancreatitis BUT his allergy induced asthma was severe that he was still panting after the first drug was given to him, to put him to sleep..... the vet was kind though & let me say goodbye as long as I wanted before administering the second shot. Here is picture of my beloved punk/bud with Jackie my twerp/little dude.

View attachment 331995

I think it was all the chicken in the kitten food he kept stealing that caused the severe asthma ... which he never had before.

About the supplement after this crazy pandemic I will bring Jackie in to talk to my favorite vet (not the newer dr) & ask her about supplements. She is very holistic do she may have some ideas. I know having MS (& allergies) that there are time I wish my immune system was weaker. What works for me is Tysabri (which Helps blocks why white blood cells from entering my brain & spine)Flonase, Claritin D, avoiding grass and treating anything & everything that could possibly be a bit has poison! For Dante he was on a strict poultry free Diet u til the kittens arrived.... well & when my dumb*** roommate used to give him treats or let him eat food that poultry in it. It wasn’t benadryl but I gave him an allergy pill for 3-5 days if his lip even started to swell.

Since Jackie was 3.5 months old he lived with just me. So I finally had control over his diet. So I switched him to mainly wet in effort for him to be healthier & he gets duck dry food (blue buffalo wilderness.) For 3 months I tried to force him to eat non fishy wet food & he is a stubborn bugger!!! So Jackie won. I now give him food like my bff which is 1/2 one type of protein & 1/2 fish protein. I still toss in a can of all beef or all beef/liver or all chicken or turkey about every 10th can (5 days.) He demands variety so I buy him lots of variety. I try to avoid buying him (or reduce The amount of) chicken. I also avoid buying him food with corn or wheat ... except his temptation treats 🙄 I also Tried freeze dried salmon (hard to break up.) Though he gets those fancy feast treat pouches of flaked tuna or salmon (he flat out rejects the flaked chicken!) Feeding him 3-4 wet meals a day Is a lot of effort & extra $$$. I do it to try to keep him healthy. I’m always looking for a new protein to put in his diet.

⭐ I might try giving him a rabbit dry food or kangaroo but I want to buy a sample can to try first. I know from experience that cats don’t like venison that much but sadly seem to like bunny as much as beef.
I tried writing petfood companies for samples of freeze dried raw foods 2 months aho. Most companies just offered a coupon for a few bucks off.
I Wysong offers a sample kit for $2.50 (just shipping cost), you can request a few products you want to try in the comments box (I asked for and got 8 sampled). They only have one canned food and it's chicken, however their freeze dried (Archetype) line comes in rabbit, quail, pollock. Going from canned to rehydrated freeze dried is a bit of a transition but for $2.50 its worth a shot.

here's the link Wysong Sample Pack | Wysong
Shipping took 2 weeks, probably because of coronavirus related delays.

good luck!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will try getting samples after this pandemic. ATM I’m having a hard enough time getting his food has is.

Oysterbay

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Black seed oil has a number of promising applications, your holistic vet may be aware of them so it’s worth asking. Nestle tried to patent the active compound for food allergies specifically (since it’s a natural substance though, they couldn’t). I’ve personally found it to be the most powerful immune supplement for me and my kitty.