A scary incident!

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yesterday around 11:00AM I got hit with a major migraine. It's a good thing I was working from home, because when I get them, I'm fairly useless. I know it's going to hit because I get the "aura" where I can't see right, then about 30 minutes later the pain and nausea hits.

So I got medication into me right away which never fully takes it away but at least makes it manageable, and I lay down on the sofa with my laptop beside me. I would rest for a bit, wake up, work a bit, and went back and forth like that for awhile.

I was done work at 4:00PM, and was feeling a bit better at this time, so I went upstairs to have a shower. I needed to take the wrapping off my new tattoo and thought it would be easiest in the shower. I no sooner get the wrapping off the tattoo when I get REALLY dizzy and felt so sick to my stomach and knew I was going to pass out. I tried deep breaths, didn't help so I literally sat down quick in the tub and turned on the cold water full blast to snap me out of it! It took a good 5 minutes before I completely came around.

All I can say is thank GOODNESS I didn't pass out! Dana didn't get home for another 2 hours, so if I had have passed out in the shower and hit my head or something, who knows what could have happened and what he could have come home to.
He told me that from here on in when I have a migraine, I am not allowed to move from the sofa at all for 24 hours unless he is around.

malakai711

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow, Kailie, that is scary... Thank God you're okay...

Honestly, hunny, it's all the stress... I used to get migraines pretty bad several years back when I was going through a really stressful time... Now, I take the attitude of "I dont care"... and I havent had a migraine since...

I hope you've seen a doctor... If not, you should! Try to relax this weekend, if you can!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Actually hun, they're completely hormonal. I have absolutely no food triggers, but my hormones have always been out of whack. I have PMDD, have been put on numerous forms of birth control because *sorry for being gross* if I don't I basically bleed constantly. The pills that I have been on have been doing great for about 8 months now, where I'd have normal periods and only 1 migraine every couple months or so. I had the migraine yesterday which I thought was weird, and then today, even though I am in the middle of my pills, all of a sudden I am bleeding, so obviously these pills have stopped working too and I need another doctor's appointment.

I am seriously going to look into a hystorectomy. That way I won't have any periods and won't have to take the birth control which causes a lot of hormones to go out of whack. I know will cause some other hormonal issues but it might be best for me. I never want children. I don't know, something to discuss I guess.

malakai711

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yikes... I'm the complete opposite... I NEVER get my period...

It may be worth looking into if you're certain...

bellaandme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad you are OK now. WOW. I can't imagine what Dana and all your kitties would have done without you!!! What would WE have done without you??

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am glad you are ok. It is really scary. I also get hormonal migraines. I have passed out from them. I was in the hospital when that happened. The only thing that works for me when mine get bad is Morphine and Zoferan for nausea. I am 50 and I can't wait for menopause
hot flashes have got to be better than migraines.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad you're doing ok now and thank goodness you were smart enough to know you may pass out and sat right down in the tub and used cold water. That was a close one.

I have suffered all of my life with headaches and have had my share of migraines so I know how bad they can be. I've been to physicians but they never found out anything wrong after tests. I still get headaches but not as many as my earlier years and don't remember when I had a migraine last, thank goodness for that. Glad you're feeling better.

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry this happened! I can't imagine how scary it must have been.

I got my first migraine at the age of 15, about a month after getting braces. I saw a neurologist for a year before it was determined that lowering my BP any further would be dangerous, and that it was most likely dental-related anyway.

Fast forward a few years, and I notice that my migraines were getting more severe, and more frequent. I was getting about 5-6/month, and they would cause me to throw up, get dizzy, etc. I never passed out, but a couple of times I was close. After a while, I started getting really bad jaw pain, on my right side. I went to a dentist who said, "Anyone every tell you how to treat TMJ?"

I had no clue, no one had ever told me I even had it. I got a dental device that helped me, but they didn't completely go away, because I have many many triggers. Hormones became the main cause of my migraines from then on.

Being pregnant has been amazingly wonderful, lol. I haven't had ONE migraine in the 4 months I've been pregnant. Going from 2-3/month to zip has been a giant relief. DH is absolutely thrilled.

All of that long, drawn-out story aside, I really think you might be on to something with the hysterectomy. If it's something you really feel strongly about, and it would improve your standard of life, then go for it.

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have hormone related migraines, too. This week, I've been ovulating, which for me is a long drawn out affair with cysts, etc. I had nocturnal migraines 4 nights in a row and generally feel like I've been hit by a truck.

The sliver lining of the immune system reboot (bone marrow treatment) I'm doing next week is that it can throw women into menopause. I'm 48, so it wouldn't be a horrible thing.

My neighbor had horrible, incapacitating migraines when she was younger. She had a hyster at 31 (she wanted CATS, not KIDS) and said it stopped hers immediately. She's always on to me to get "spayed" as well.

Good luck, glad you thought fast and avoided disaster.

C

cruisermaiden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow that is scary. Do get in to see your doctor right away!

I don't get migraines often but when I do they are awful and not much I can do about them except take pain medicine and hide in a cool, dark, quiet place.

DH has told me I am not allowed to do anything when I have one either. I tend to get disoriented and I have sketchy balance on the best of days, so I'm not even allowed to go down stairs. A couple months ago I almost caught the house on fire because I was attempting to make dinner with a migraine.

Take care of yourself!

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So glad you didn't pass out in the tub. Follow Dana's rule. I didn't know migraines could be linked to hormones. Then again, I don't get a period anymore. lol

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Oh that is scary!
I hope you'll heed Dana's new rule!

!!!!!!
You better listen to him and stay put next time! I hope you can get your issues sorted out at the doctor soon. Sounds like not a fun way to live life.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks guys, not fun at ALL and I've been dealing with all of this for years.

I called to make an appointment with my doctor but he's away for the next 2 weeks. His back-up can't see me until next Thursday afternoon. I made the appointment but I don't know if it'll be a good idea as she doesn't really know my background and may not be the nest one to discuss a hystorectomy with. We'll see I guess.