A sad story of a stray

UgurOzkan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone from Turkey.

I would like to hear your thoughts about something that has been troubling me for years. Thank you in advance.

I live in a country with a high stray animal population. About 5 years ago, while I was walking around I saw this stray cat that was terribly emaciated, so much so that every single bone in her body was visible. I simply couldn't believe a creature like that would be still alive. Interestingly she could still walk. So I took her to a vet clinic, he offered her every kind of wet food but she didn't show a slightest interest. The vet said that the animal was on the brink of death without any hope and her digestive system stopped working, and it was because of a terrible infectious disease (feline aids or parvovirus as far as I can remember) that could spread to other cats quickly so he said I need to leave her somewhere she can't spread the disease to other strays. With a broken heart I did what he told. I found an open place where I couldn't see any other strays and left her. I couldn't bring her home, as I was living with my sister back then and she had indoor cats. She was extremely cautious about infectious cat diseases and didn't allow me to bring her in.

What troubles me is that I can't remember if I offered her water when I first saw her. Maybe I did, but I am unable to remember the details. Sure she didn't want to eat and wet food, but maybe he could have drunk water if offered? Is it possible for a cat like her, badly emaciated and on the brink of death, to drink water even if she refuses all kinds of wet food?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I commend you for your kind heart in trying to help this poor creature. You will be blessed......
If she was that bad, i always give the advice to listen to your vet. Though I can't help but think that he could have put the poor thing out of its misery if it was that bad. if she was emaciated as bad as you say to the point of refusing to eat even wet food, I highly doubt she would have drunk. I really think that water would have really only prolonged the inevitable. You tried, and that is much more than anyone else did, please let your heart be at peace knowing you tried and you gave some comfort and care to a dying being.....thank you from the bottom of my heart......PS you bring honor to her by remembering her and thinking of her after her death, she is at peace.....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

UgurOzkan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I commend you for your kind heart in trying to help this poor creature. You will be blessed......
If she was that bad, i always give the advice to listen to your vet. Though I can't help but think that he could have put the poor thing out of its misery if it was that bad. if she was emaciated as bad as you say to the point of refusing to eat even wet food, I highly doubt she would have drunk. I really think that water would have really only prolonged the inevitable. You tried, and that is much more than anyone else did, please let your heart be at peace knowing you tried and you gave some comfort and care to a dying being.....thank you from the bottom of my heart......PS you bring honor to her by remembering her and thinking of her after her death, she is at peace.....
Thank you for your reply and kind words. I wish I had been born somewhere stray animals don't exist, or at least not as many as they do here. Every single day is another problem, seeing what they have to endure, yet unable to help all. And sometimes unintentionally make them suffer even if your sole intention is to help.

At that moment I simply thought about other strays around, so I somehow felt that I had to do what the vet told me. Maybe I was wrong. Which is why the memory is still haunting me after years. It seems it always will. And here I am, selfishly trying to feel better by asking people about it and wishing to hear what I want to hear..

My only consolation is, I think if she was desperate for water she would have been at least lick the liquid part of wet food wouldn't she? I mean sometimes cats do that before they begin to actually eat.

Again, thank you for your time and reply.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You did what you could by trying to help this poor cat. That's more than enough. The vet should never of left you or the cat in that situation. He should of ended the cat's suffering when you took the poor thing to him for help. From what you have said about the cat's condition it wouldn't of drunk water even if given.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
You sound like somebody who has a very big heart towards animals in an area where that is a rarity. I too am surprised that the vet did not euthanize her or try to give her fluids intravenously.
Please do not be haunted by by her death because by what you have said it sounds like it was inevitable. Concentrate on the fact that you picked her up, loved her and took her to a vet. For the first time in her life she was not just one of many, she had somebody's attention.
And that is a whole lot more than what she got from her previous owner.

Last edited:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I agree that you did exactly the right and kind thing. You took a dying cat who was not even yours, in a country which by your own description has a lot of strays, to a vet for help. The fact that he did not euthanize her is what is confusing to all of us. If he would not do that, it is not as if you had those drugs at home or could have done this on your own. As I see it, your conscience is clear.

I believe that when an animal is that close to passing food or water may not longer be a concern for them as they have probably already entered a semi comatose state.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, an animal desperate for water or craving it would have licked the wet food. I think many of her systems were already shut down and she was beyond help. To receive comfort is exactly what she needed at that time. You did well.....PS we would not tell you what you want to hear, we tell you our opinion and what our experiences were in similar situations. We are all drawn together by our love of these beautiful creatures. I only wish we could end all suffering.