A reminder for the holidays

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
As we enter the holiday season please remember, kittens and puppies are not good gifts. Many people think a loved one would like a pet as a gift but the sad reality is many gifted pets end up at the animal shelters.

Next to puppy/kitten season the holiday season is probably the buisiest time for shelters as impulse buyers and well meaning loved ones give kittens or puppies as gifts to people who really aren't ready yet for a pet.

Please don't give animals as holiday presants.

If you think a loved one would like a pet discuss it with them and there family first.

Cats and dogs are living, breathing companions for life, not novelty items.

With that said happy whatever holidays you celibrate this time of year.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As we enter the holiday season please remember, kittens and puppies are not good gifts. Many people think a loved one would like a pet as a gift but the sad reality is many gifted pets end up at the animal shelters.

Next to puppy/kitten season the holiday season is probably the buisiest time for shelters as impulse buyers and well meaning loved ones give kittens or puppies as gifts to people who really aren't ready yet for a pet.

Please don't give animals as holiday presants.

If you think a loved one would like a pet discuss it with them and there family first.

Cats and dogs are living, breathing companions for life, not novelty items.

With that said happy whatever holidays you celibrate this time of year.
And engage the family/friends you want to gift and animal to and allow them to pick one out for themselves. Go with them to a rescue or shelter. Don't buy from breeders. Adopt don't shop.

bobkater

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wise advice!

And in any case, kittens should not be given to families with small children, even if they say they want one. Kids tend to treat the animals like toys, and some may mistreat them.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For a lot of families the holidays just is not a good time to bring in a new pet. Holiday gatherings in the home, going out for holiday gatherings, lost sleep and general chaos. A new pet will do much better when things are settled and in a normal day to day routine.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
i get sooo angry when i see a kitten with small children in a home situation

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A few years ago my mom and stepdad asked if they could get DS a kitten for his birthday. He would have been over the moon! And I really do think he would benefit from having a dog to run around with. BUT we said not yet. Mooch is a senior cat with arthritis and it's just not fair to her to bring in another animal; especially a young one full of energy. DS understands this.

Some families can handle young pets around young kids just fine; but you really better know what you are getting into. My SIL had to say no during that stage of life. Now her kids are all big and they have been doing some fostering and even became the permanent home for a dog who came with some fear based behavior issues. Time of life matters but every family is different as for when the time is right. Its not a decision to make with emotions.

My godson has 2 leopard geckos that he had to research a lot and teach his parents about before they would agree to it. And that learning turned out extremely helpful because he spotted an illness early that could be fatal if untreated. it helped him take the commitment seriously.