A Question About My New Cat

randomnikc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone. I hope someone could help me with this.
Last week I brought home a kitten -he's three months old- and since this is the first time I have a cat, I had some doubts. Well, generally he's really sweet and seems to be comfortable when I pet him. He even comes to my lap and purrs until he's asleep. But there's times -especially at night but it can be at any time of day- that he goes "crazy". He starts running around the house and stares at me just before jumping to my legs. He doesn't bite me or anything, but it's strange. At these "crazy" times, if I try to get close to him, he runs away and puffs up his tail. I don't know, I thought maybe he's just playing, but it's like he's scared of me. Then after a while, he goes back to normal again. I also make sure he plays enough during the day, but this behavior doesn't seem to be changing. What do you think?

PS: Sorry if my english is bad.

Merlin77

Warrior of SandClan
Super Cat
Purraise
Sounds like the kitten crazies to me! Cats tend to build up energy and let it out in huge bursts--it sounds like he's treating you like another kitten who he is playing with. My cats do this too, all the time.

One way to minimize the damage of the "crazytimes" is more playing. More than what you do already. Throw around a bottle cap, make him hunt for his food by hiding the food somewhere, or anything!

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have two five month old kittens and this definitely sounds familiar, as others have said it shouldn't be anything to worry about. Kittens are hyperactive and excitable and that's just a normal part of their development.